Help with Chinese fonts in TheWord for Mac

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
johnlee

Help with Chinese fonts in TheWord for Mac

Post by johnlee »

I am a new Mac user, just switched from PC recently. I have been using TheWord for a while on PC, and would like to receive the same blessing on Mac. I am using OS X 10.9.1 and have successfully installed Xquartz, TheWord, and the modules containing Chinese Bibles and notes. However, the Chinese characters are not displayed at all (only squares...). After researching the forum, I realize that this is a common issue, and attempted to install Chinese font in X11 to solve the problem. Following is what I did.

I copied a Chinese font (true-type in .ttf) to the TTF folder under the "fonts" folder in X11. Then I executed a command "fc-cache" in this folder and found the font I copied listed in the file "fonts.list". I assume that this means I have successfully installed the font in X11. Then I start TheWord and could not find this font listed in the drop-down list. It seems to me that TheWord could not find the font I just installed.

Can anyone tell me what I have done incorrectly? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Blessings,
John
isjacob

Re: Help with Chinese fonts in TheWord for Mac

Post by isjacob »

Hi John! I am using theWord to read Chinese Bible and typing Chinese notes on Mac Mavericks.
Yet, I have not used the Mac-Version provided by this forum. I was using WineSkin (http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/) with a few setting and I was able to read Chinese with theWord easily. WineSkin do not need Xquartz. You may search the web for uninstalling the Xquartz though. With the WinSkin, I found it is easily for me to do the upgrade of theWord. Yet, like most of the Wine implementation in Mac that we cannot type Chinese directly to theWord. Like the Mac Version provided here we can always Copy&Paste to theWord notes. Well, fair enough for the WineSkin is free and it provides acceptable supported still.

I finally paid to buy Crossover (http://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-mac/) that allows me type Chinese directly to theWord notes.
gary-c

Post by gary-c »

Hi John,

Put your fonts in /Users/[your name]/Library/Application Support/Wine/prefixes/theWord/drive_c/Windows/fonts/ folder. In the Word, go to File > Preferences > Bible Text, change the font on your Chinese bible.
gary-c

Post by gary-c »

Hi John,

Put your fonts in /Users/[your name]/Library/Application Support/Wine/prefixes/theWord/drive_c/Windows/fonts/ folder. In the Word, go to File > Preferences > Bible Text, change the font on your Chinese bible.
waleeed

Post by waleeed »

This is not concerning 'Twitter', but I just bought a Samson Galaxie Tablet, and downloaded the Word, BUT 'it cannot open'. It the Word compatible with Tablets ? If yes, what must I do to properly install the program ?? :shock: Thanks
waleeed
JG

Post by JG »

theWord does not run on Android operating system.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet