Greek and Hebrew Study tool

Ideas and suggestions about new features
DarrelW

Greek and Hebrew Study tool

Post by DarrelW »

I have mentioned something along this line several times in the past (not sure what topics) and want to bring it up again. I have a challenging time studying Greed and Hebrew and digging out what I am looking for. I do not read nor speak Greek or Hebrew yet (have strong aspirations, but not at this time), so I am continuously looking for tools to help me. I want those tools in TW, and we are making superb progress.

Here is what I want! PC Study Bible has a custom search module that allows for easy viewing, searching and coming up lists of specific Greek words matching criteria you are looking for. I have included two screen shots showing this. I would love to see something similar for both Greek (based on NA27 and RMAC) and Hebrew (based ON WHM and WMC).

Now I've been told there is not much interest in this type of a feature, so I am curious if others would like this - or is it just me!

Darrel
Attachments
Greek Morphological Search.png
Greek Morphological Search.png (76.13 KiB) Viewed 6813 times
Greek Morphological Search 2.png
Greek Morphological Search 2.png (70.71 KiB) Viewed 6813 times
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Greek and Hebrew Study tool

Post by csterg »

Darrel,
you can already to that from within theWord, but you just don't have this interface with all the morphemes spelled out. Did you know that?
Costas
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

i know how to individually go after them, but not sure if I know where you are going? Can you or someone share a bit? Thx! :oops:

Darrel
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

post a simple question on what you would like to do
Costas
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Hi Costas,
I am raising this issue again, for having a nice GUI for both Greek and Hebrew searching. What I like about the Greek searching GUI shown above - I do not need to know Greek in order to do powerful searching. PC Study Bible now has a similar Hebrew search tool. I'd REALLY this area/feature taken to the next level. Thanks Costas

Darrel
Attachments
Greek Morphological Search.png
Greek Morphological Search.png (76.13 KiB) Viewed 5968 times
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Darrel,
I am sorry, there are no current plans for such a function,
Costas
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Greetings Darrel.

This is not quite as intuitive but works quite well.

You'll need two dictionaries & 1 greek Bible with morphology and lemmas:
1. A dictionary that has the greek lemmas AMGL is a nice free option or BDAG is an excellent option as well.
(Unless you know the lemmas yourself)
--If available in your dictionary you can just use the drop down to get the lemma and then copy it to the Bible search view.
2. You'll need a Morphology dictionary RMAC is a good option.
--This is to help with identifying the morphology terminology unless you already know it.
--For example V-PAI-3S is Verb-Present Active Indicative - third person singular
3. Greek Bible - (This should also work with the proper Hebrew Bible)
--TRa, Byz2005++ are some good free options, NA27, NA28 are some good options as well.

Now use a search expression such as this:
m/greeklemma@morphologycode

m/ακουω@V-PAI-3S should bring up ακουιε in Byz2005++ or TRa

m/ακουω@V-PAI-* will bring up 1stperson singular/plural, 2nd person singular/plural and 3rd person singular/plural

I'm looking into how this can be done with strongs as well.
Perhaps someone can generate a list of search expressions that would do what you like. It could be in a book and then one could just copy and past it into the search window.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

For English: I'd recommend the TRi it has Greek, morphology, lemmas, and English.

Use the same code: m/ακουω@V-PAI-3S
If you want multiples looked for use the * wild character or ? for individual wild characters.

If you'd like to use the ACV-nt you can use the Strong with this type of search.

StrongsNumber m/V-PAI-3S

For αγαπαω G25 m/V-PAI-3S (But please note make sure the G25 and V-PAI-3S are next to each other in the search result. If not it is finding words within the near operator.)
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Costas would it be hard to build a interface that works with theWORD Bible search? That does the search syntax in a visual way for users that find this hard to do? I could try it in Delphi 7 but my Delphi computer went down so it is a reinstall of Delphi & modules, etc. which as you know is very complicated.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Unfortunately, this is not in my plate for now.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Hello Costas,
Just checking if this has surfaced on your plate yet. It would sure make searches more powerful!

Darrel
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

What if an analytical dictionary or one which include morphology (Rubio yours maybe? or Mathetes?) could be used. Since the words can be used to search a Bible.
All one needs then is a dictionary that has Hebrew and Greek with something like ακουω and its variations Strong numbers for the roots could be helpful as well. Especially since topics can be linked.
Such as a topic with
G191
ακουω V-PAI-1S
ακοσας V-AAI-2S
etc. . . .

This then would use tools already available in theWORD it is just a matter of compiling a dictionary that has all greek and hebrew words with its different variations with morphologies labeled. Perhaps better Greek and Hebrew separated. This then could be used with Greek or Hebrew Bibles.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Jonathan that is a VERY intriguing idea. It would be interesting seeing how all the permutations would be handled. But short of Costas doing some in code it's the best idea I've seen.

Darrel
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

I wonder if someone did it similiar to a book analytical lexicon perhaps.

https://archive.org/details/analyticalgreekl00samuuoft
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »