Shared study notes

Ideas and suggestions about new features
bjones123

Shared study notes

Post by bjones123 »

All,

I'm planning on leading a small group Bible study, specifically focusing on digital tools for Bible study. I plan to invite everyone in our study to bring a laptop for use with theWord, or a tablet/smartphone for looking up Bible passages. What's an effective way to share the study notes I write with the group? In particular, I'd like a collaborative experience, where anyone in the group could add text or scripture references, which would automatically appear on everyone's device on real time.

1. Perhaps I could place my study notes on Dropbox, then share this with the group. This allows everyone with a PC to see my notes, but collaboration doesn't work -- to update the screen, I have to exit theWord, wait for Dropbox to sync now that the notes aren't locked, then re-start theWord. This is probably the least helpful option.

2. Use a sharing service such as Google Docs or OneDrive's Word. Then, any text I highlight then copy which contains scripture references will produce a very nice pop-up with the references. Or, I could copy and paste from the Web to theWord's study notes and read them there. This is reasonable, but requires a lot of manual intervention to continually transfer data between the collaborative environment (Googe Docs / OneDrive's Word) and theWord.

However, with either option, tablet/smart phone users can only view the text, but have no ability to quickly look up a scripture reference.

3. Copy and paste my notes into Blogger / Wordpress / etc., then add the reftagger (http://www.reftagger.com) script so that all Scripture references will pop up automatically. This provides very nice tablet/smart phone support, but loses the interactivity. I'm not aware of a way to include this in Google Docs or OneDrive's Word.

Are there better ways of achieving this goal? Thanks for any ideas!

Bryan
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Shared study notes

Post by csterg »

Hello Bryan,
unfortunately theWord is not design with such a mindset. No real-time collaboration is really possible. The best you could achieve is to share notes at the end by sharing your files through a file-sharing mechanism, as you already said,
sorry
Costas
bjones123

Post by bjones123 »

Costas,

Thanks for the reply -- I understand. theWord is great and I use it all the time!

Bryan
Keith Tate

Post by Keith Tate »

Where in Windows 10 can I find the files that contain my verse highlighting, notes, and changes or additions I have placed into a particular commentary (edited enabled)???

Thanks in advance for the assistance...
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

menu Help->About->File locations.
Check the manual, it has a list of all files
Costas
Keith Tate

Post by Keith Tate »

Thanks Costas !!