Help with creating dictionary module

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
forrestcupp

Help with creating dictionary module

Post by forrestcupp »

I'm wanting to create a dictionary module with Greek and Hebrew definitions based on Strong's numbers. I've figured out how to create a new dictionary module from within theWord, and I was able to test it out with one entry with a Strong's number as a topic. I just went with G25 (agapao) just to test it. It worked, and when I did a Strong's search from the bible view, it did detect it in my user module.

But here's the obvious problem. I have a Word document that already contains all of the Strong's numbers with their definitions, and the Word document is like 2500 pages. There's no way I'm going to have the time to manually create a topic and copy/paste the definitions for every single word. I don't have any experience creating modules. Does anyone know of an easy tutorial that would explain an easier way to convert my Word document to a Strong's based dictionary module? Any help would be appreciated.
forrestcupp

Re: Help with creating dictionary module

Post by forrestcupp »

I converted Abbott-Smith's Manual Greek Lexicon of the New Testament to an RTF file just so I could see how they formatted things. So I tried to format things in my own RTF file in a similar way so that I could use the twimport program to convert my RTF file to a book module. It did import it into a module, but the entire thing was under one topic, rather than creating separate topics for each Strong's number. Hopefully there is some way to automate this to where I can have a separate topic for each word, like it's supposed to be. I've scoured the net and looked at all of the spec documents, and I can't find any way to automate something like this.
JG

Post by JG »

Many persons find this tool e-Sword ToolTip Tool NT, and MS Word and theword Importer tool and easy way to make such modules.
The idea is to make a marked up file in MS Word and use that in e-Sword ToolTip Tool NT to make an e-Sword module, and then import with theWord Importer.
There is documentation with the download.
http://www.biblesupport.com/e-sword-dow ... p-tool-nt/

Or you can use MS Word to break rtf files into files defined by a heading into individual documents ready for using theWord Importer too.
https://www.datanumen.com/blogs/2-quick ... iple-ones/
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
forrestcupp

Post by forrestcupp »

JG wrote:Many persons find this tool e-Sword ToolTip Tool NT, and MS Word and theword Importer tool and easy way to make such modules.
The idea is to make a marked up file in MS Word and use that in e-Sword ToolTip Tool NT to make an e-Sword module, and then import with theWord Importer.
There is documentation with the download.
http://www.biblesupport.com/e-sword-dow ... p-tool-nt/

Or you can use MS Word to break rtf files into files defined by a heading into individual documents ready for using theWord Importer too.
https://www.datanumen.com/blogs/2-quick ... iple-ones/
Yeah, thank you! I just stumbled upon the eSword Tooltip Tool NT last night and was looking at it. It looks like that's exactly the method I was looking for. That tool makes things pretty easy. So if the importer tool does a good job importing the eSword module, I'll end up with exactly what I was wanting. Haven't had time to try it out yet.

Thanks for the help! It's too bad we don't have something like this to directly create a module for theWord, though. But this should work great anyway.
forrestcupp

Post by forrestcupp »

It worked! I was able to easily format my RTF file to work in the eSword Tooltip Tool to create an eSword dictionary module. Then theWord importer tool converted it perfectly to work in theWord. I'm very happy this worked out. Thank you.
JG

Post by JG »

Are you able to share the fruits of your labor?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
forrestcupp

Post by forrestcupp »

JG wrote:Are you able to share the fruits of your labor?
I really wish I could, but I don't have the rights. I went to a lot of trouble of copying the work from another source that I purchased so that I could convert it for my personal use in theWord. It's the Complete Word Study Dictionary, which is an amazing resource. I really wish there were an official premium module for theWord. If I had permission, I'd be very happy to share, but there's no way in the world that's happening when Costas hasn't even been able to secure the rights to sell a module for them. :(
JG

Post by JG »

Well we are still trying to secure the rights, so perhaps we will have it soon.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
forrestcupp

Post by forrestcupp »

JG wrote:Well we are still trying to secure the rights, so perhaps we will have it soon.
That would be great. It's a worthy resource. I use and love Kittel's TDNT, and the Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament. I purchased both of those modules, and they're amazing. But the Complete Word Study Dictionary is perfect for when you want to look a Greek/Hebrew word up really quickly and get a much deeper definition than most of the other lexicons than are free.

Thanks for your help.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Has there been any success obtaining the rights for the Complete Word Study Dictionary?
JG

Post by JG »

An attempt was made but without success.
We are trying again. Matthew 7:7
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software