macOS Sierra and The Word

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
Lele

macOS Sierra and The Word

Post by Lele »

Hello everyone,
first of all, sorry for my english.
I need an information. I downloaded The word in my Mac and it ran with XQuarts.
Now I upload my Mac in the new Os version: macOS Sierra. But now, The Word doesn't work, even if I download the two softwares again. Could anybody help me?
Thanks for the help.
hmikerice

Re: macOS Sierra and The Word

Post by hmikerice »

Please download the latest version of XQuartz ... https://dl.bintray.com/xquartz/download ... 2.7.11.dmg

2.7.11 works under Sierra .. which is where the problem was.

Enjoy discovering God's Word !!
canflow

Post by canflow »

I have Sierra and successfully installed 2.7.11, although I wasn't sure what it meant that I had to log out and then log back in; I restarted figuring that would do what I needed. Then I used the download for Yosemite and did the install. Now when I click on the tW icon, all I get is Preparing "theWord" and the line goes about 3/4 of the way and stops. Nothing more ever happens. What am I missing? Thanks for your help!
bereanone

Post by bereanone »

I have installed the latest XQuartz and installed the Word. I see the icon, I can launch the icon, but nothing happens, no program, no anything. I suspect the problem involves XQuartz and, if memory serves, Mac no longer supports XQuartz? If I recall a number of other programs that relied upon it, no longer work either. It is a shame, I would love to try The Word...
Warty

Post by Warty »

I am now running macOS High Sierra on my Mac and previously had TheWord ver 4.0.0.1342 and also Quartz 2.711 running successfully under Moutain Lion. When I restored Mountain Lion and all my programs to a new Mac and updated to macOS Sierra it still ran OK. I have since upgraded to macOS High Sierra and TheWord would not open and got the same message "Preparing TheWord" and then nothing happening. I tried manually opening Quartz (it should have opened when opening TheWord) but TheWord would still not load and open.

After several attempts, I downloaded Quartz 2.711 again and ran the install again and theWord opened successfully. Don't know what the problem was, maybe Quartz got corrupted during the OS update. But it appears to OK now, so I suggest that you do the same and reinstall Quartz and see if that fixes the problem.

Hope it works OK, as TheWord is a marvellous application.
Warty

Post by Warty »

With reference to my post re "The Word" running on macOS High Sierra. Reinstalling Quartz 2.711 worked fine.

I have now upgraded to mac OS Mojave Ver 10.14 and had the same problem in that "The Word" again would not run. So I re-downloaded Quartz 2.711 and reinstalled it and "The Word" now appears to be working. SO hope that this may help anyone else in that situation.

God Bless to all,
Warty
New Zealand
Foneill

Post by Foneill »

I am also using Mojave and successfully was able to open theword. I don't recall what I did. I do use Quartz 2.11. The issue I am having is installing modules. They seem to go through the process of installing but in fact they do not. I have tried Finney's Systematic Theology and Bunyan's pilgrims progess. Both show as exe files. Wine says
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 11.58.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 11.58.00 AM.png (167.71 KiB) Viewed 5170 times
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Foneill wrote:I am also using Mojave and successfully was able to open theword. I don't recall what I did. I do use Quartz 2.11. The issue I am having is installing modules. They seem to go through the process of installing but in fact they do not. I have tried Finney's Systematic Theology and Bunyan's pilgrims progess. Both show as exe files. Wine says
Did you try installing directly from within theWord using the "Add Titles..." feature?

Is the "Run directly in" location in your screenshot the file that theWord books are stored in?

Have you verified they're not installed by checking the "Available modules" in the "Define module sets" dialog?

(Note: I know nothing about Mac's, I'm just throwing out ideas, hopefully harmless ones, until someone gives more definitive answers.)
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.