Multiple monitors

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
DarrelW

Multiple monitors

Post by DarrelW »

I thought I'd share my current setup. I run Ubuntu Mate 19.04 with three monitors on an HP desktop with 8 Gb of RAM. My left monitor has my internet connection, the middle monitor runs the main TW program, and the right monitor has floating TW windows.

I run two of the monitors from my display card (as VGA and DPMI). I use a Diamond USB 3.0 to HDMI/DVI Multi-Display adapter connected to a USB 3.1 to drive my third monitor.

This setup has really expanded my work pattern. The Diamond adapter has a little bit of problem running on Ubuntu 19.04 (which I can resolve by dropping back to version 18.10 if I want, but it has not affected me that much). You can run a similar setup on Windows if you want.

If you're looking for a way to increase productivity, this method (for me) is awesome!

Darrel
jonathangkoehn

Re: Multiple monitors

Post by jonathangkoehn »

I run something similar, on three monitors as well. Left monitor Tw main, middle with floating, right with floating and internet plus a webpage I reference often for translating. Good stuff
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

What video card are you using top drive the three monitors?
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

I have a Aspire E 15 laptop and just using its built in card: it has one hdmi and one (svga not sure) plus the regular laptop monitor.
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

I thought I'd do an update on my system, since quite a bit has changed. I ran Linux for about 13 years, and it was good, although I had several programs that just didn't want to behave properly. Plus, when I travel, I could only take my amazon Fire tablet. So, I was grousing before the Lord and googling Amazon, and saw this 15" travel monitor that would easily fit in my book bag. But I needed a computer to work with this display!

Well, long story short, the Lord led me to change everything! I picked up a Beelink SER5 mini-PC. This thing is 5"x4.5", 64 Gb ram, currently 2 Tb internal SSD storage, 22 Tb external backup storage, and is blazingly fast! When I am at home it has replaced my desktop computer, drives my 3-27" monitors, and handles everything I throw at it! This thing is faster than my Lenova M900 desktop with 32 Gb of ram. When traveling, it connects via USB-C to my traveling monitor, and I have all my tools with me wherever I go. And I chose to get it with Windows 11 Pro. I could put Linux on it, but I've been having a ball running ALL my programs in Windows. Wow! I am a happy camper, and it didn't break the bank to do the upgrade!
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Was it hard to install 64gb ram we went with the same for my wife? It has 16Gb and 1TB drive to start with. SER5 version of Beelink.
I am contemplating the SER7 for developement, we will see. LIke a 64GB Ram, and 2 TB drive, the only thing really holding me back is the video card and OBS studios which likes NVIDIA but I could maybe just let the processor do the work.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

No, it was so easy, remove 4 screws, gently lift ff the back cover, replace the two 8 Gb SODIM memory sticks with two 32 Gb memory sticks. The SER5 has a slot in the back cover where you can put a 2.5" SSD drive, meaning not only can you have 64 Gb ram, but somewhere around 8 Tb storage!

The SER5 has 1 HDMI port, 1 display port and 1 USB-C PORT. I have three 27" HDMI monitors, so I picked up the necessary cables at Staples, ordered the memory sticks through Amazon, and now have a powerhouse system! With 15" portable display I got through Amazon, I can take all my tools with me wherever I go.

Also, the Rysen processor plays beautifully with Windows 11. That SER7 sounds really cool, although its price was a little out of my budget. But four monitors! Wow. I have been really impressed with Beelink products. Let me know how it goes with you.

Darrel
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

I've also looked at some of these micro computers and thought one would be nice to have. How well does it handle virtual machines? How does composing Greek characters in Windows 11 compare with how Linux/KDE is able to compose characters?
Last edited by mathetes on Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
JG

Post by JG »

Can you start a new topic for this question.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Jonathan, have you checked out the SER 9? Not sure where your finances are at, but those SER 9 boxes will handle ANYTHING you throw at it. And windows 11 REALLY cooks om 64 Gb of ram, and Windows 11 works very well on the Rizen processors!

Jon, sorry for running a bit more on this thread, but my productivity has increased so dramatically since moving back to Windows. I mean I had fun on Linux and did some really cool stuff, but as I stepped deeper into what I feel the Lord called me to - well, all I can say is "Wow!"

Darrel
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

The max I found was ser7 or the better model GTR7 pro
Ryzen 9 I believe