My makeshift Apocrypha bible module

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
RevSteve

Re: My makeshift Apocrypha bible module

Post by RevSteve »

So I decided to get the Apocrypha WEB text line up with the ERV version I have above then to add the additional 2 books it offers.
And to make a verse list module that will accommodate both WEB and ERV texts.

To break it down, the ERV has the Song Of The Three Holy Children, Susanna and Bel And The Dragon the WEB text doesn't have.
The WEB text has 3rd and 4th Maccabees that the ERV doesn't, at least in the texts I found that I could download and use.
This is a picture of both texts in compare, since the WEB is an update of ERV, it reads pretty much the same except it updates the language in places to more modern English.

I could upload the WEB text, along with the verse list module that will control both texts if someone makes the request.
Attachments
Makeshift Apocrypha5.JPG
Makeshift Apocrypha5.JPG (132.43 KiB) Viewed 3412 times
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

This is a post of me thinking out aloud briefly.

So I have finished a Apocrypha Latin-English dictionary, the reason for most of this thread for the English texts was so I could find English words for the corresponding Latin proper nouns.
It wasn't always easy to find them thus I used every Apocrypha English text I could find.
I still have about 30 to 40 Latin proper names that are unknown to me and it will stay that way.

Now, I have tools for studying almost all the Apocrypha Latin text..with what you can see I have done in this thread.
But the dilemma now is I have doubts most people will accept this 2 module solution, one for verse list and one for the text even though it works.

You see, I don't believe anyone would want the Latin text in book form and then have to right click on a word then pick from a list of dictionaries the one dictionary that will give the definition material.

The only alternative is to hyperlink the whole of the Latin text in book form...something that I wanted to avoid, seeing how big that would make the book and ...I just don't like the thought of it.

Anyway, I can enjoy the dictionary I have created but because of above problems, unfortunately, I don't see an avenue to release as a TheWord module...Latin is somewhat of a specialty anyway since not many are interested in it.
My goal is to make it more accessible to more people and to provide tools to help with its study.
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

Further thoughts, I can make any of these modules that I have made up available.
But seeing there was only one download of the one on the preceding page, I assume that there isn't any interest in that way of doing it.

So I could make in book form the Apocrypha text in Latin and also have the Latin Dictionary self-contained in the module.

This would allow for hover over popups of the Latin dictionary material section.
I am presently experimenting with adding an inline English version text to go along with the Latin text as well.

I am also redoing the Latin dictionary part because the particular Latin text I was using didn't have all the verses...some were missing...Manuscript differences or perhaps something else.
So I have switched to a different Latin Edition.

So that is the explanation of my previous reply...there was no interaction and no one was downloading..therefore I was assuming no one would be interested in this...

Anyway, there is another thread on here concerning Apocrypha support.
Perhaps there are a few that want that but judging from no input in thread tells me perhaps there aren't many that really care about that support.
And if I were a programmer, I wouldn't spend anytime on which very few will /would support.

So the next time someone pushes for Apocrypha support, this thread could be referenced...

I do think it is important to have resources of the ancient languages, both the primary and the secondary.
I do have the belief that at least some knowledge of Latin is important in bible study because of the use of Latin borrowed terms in the English bible.
Not only that but some of the most revered commentaries not only have comments quoted in Greek but also there is also Latin quoted comments.

Still don't think Latin is important?
If you don't know any at all about Latin then you may miss out on a fuller understanding.

But I digress...whenever I get this Apocrypha Latin book form module along, I'll see about posting a few pics of it in this thread.

Edit: See next reply
Last edited by RevSteve on Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

Concerning the black font hyperlink, I may not need it if I decide to make a Latin with English translation right below it.
I think it actually needs a little contrast to quickly identify the 2 texts together.

I made a small test file with only one book and part of another as a trial then made it into a book module.
I didn't use the default hyperlink color but edited it with a less intense form of blue.

Now if it were only the Latin text, I know I personally would prefer black color font over any colored font.

Anyway, here it is below and any comments?...it doesn't matter whether anyone comments or not if I get it to where I think it is a useful module, I will likely upload it for others to download if they want it.
Likely over at wordmodules...if everything goes together and I don't run into any major problems.
It will take me some time however to redo the dictionary per above reply and all the checks that I will have to do.
Attachments
vulgdouay.JPG
vulgdouay.JPG (186.45 KiB) Viewed 3392 times
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

JG, is the chapters and verses (the numbers thereof) hard-coded in TheWord?
The reason I ask, if they could be user adjusted, it would be possible at least to rename books (I suppose) and at least the chapters and verses would line up.
If it is hardcoded, I understand why it would be a nightmare to change.
On a technical note: yes, the versification is hard-coded and its impossible to change.
RevSteve

Post by RevSteve »

csterg wrote: On a technical note: yes, the versification is hard-coded and its impossible to change.
Some time after asking that question, I thought it probably was.

After some more time I realized no one was interested in the 2 module solution and with latin with dictionary--would really be 3 modules, including the dictionary.

So I decided to make the dictionary with the text of the Apocrypha internal, all in one.

I am near having it ready for upload, it is appox. 2.5mb in size zipped.

I think this is the best solution for what I was doing and to make available for others to use.
I could make some formatting changes if desired, such as font colors, font sizes or other such changes.

I have a (maybe) final screen shot.
For the 1st and 2nd Esdras, I decided to use (ERV) because I couldn't find the more modern Douay for those 2 books.
This (only the (ERV))text has the built in footnotes which if I wanted to spend the time, I suppose I could have put them at the bottom of the page.
Instead, I put them inline with the text and have special characters and colored text, setting the footnotes apart from normal text.

I used for the latin a black font hyperlinked that is also a semi-bold font also a size larger than the English text, in order to make it easy for the reader to focus on whichever text they might desire.

Part of the "About" in the module lists the books and texts...these are 'selected' Apocrypha books, I decided to include in this work.

The Main Apocrypha Texts are as follows:
The Latin Clementine and The Douay English for the following books:
Tobit, Judith, Wisdom, Sirach, Baruch, 1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees.

The Apocrypha books of 1 Esdras, 2 Esdras:
Latin Text is from The Latin Library.
English Text is the English Revised Version (ERV).

Apocrypha books of Daniel chapter 13 and 14:
Latin Text from The Latin Library
Douay English Text

Apocrypha book of Prayer Of Manasses:
Latin Text from The Latin Library
World English Bible (WEB)

I don't know if there is any interest here, I could upload it here but for sure, I will upload it to wordmodules.
The computer program I used for the dictionary is called Whitaker's words, it doesn't alway get the definition or the grammar correct but an overwhelming part of time, it does.
This is second best(at least something I can create) to a "by hand" by a Latin scholar which I presume will never happen in free resources of Bible Latin or related materials.
Anyway, if that were to happen, I would be glad...
Attachments
ApocVulDLat_dct_twm.JPG
ApocVulDLat_dct_twm.JPG (191.67 KiB) Viewed 3345 times