Support for tags inside _ORIGWORD_ property of href

Ideas and suggestions about new features
RubioTerra

Support for tags inside _ORIGWORD_ property of href

Post by RubioTerra »

I've been missing the possibility to use tags inside an _ORIGWORD_ property of href. For instance, consider the following:

Code: Select all

<wt>In <FI>the<Fi> beginning<WH000>
When I use a verse rule to turn on hidden links, the _ORIGWORD_ part of href would have to include the italic tags, like this:

Code: Select all

<a href=_ORIGWORD_In <FI>the<Fi> beginning|_NOLINK_|_STRONG_H000>In <FI>the<Fi> begginning</a><WH000>
But this will result in a broken link, because apparently the parser doesn't account for tags inside _ORIGWORD_. The workaround today is not to use the _ORIGWORD_ property. It would be nice if this would be supported. Of course the "original word" field of the popup would have to handle Bible tags also.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
jonathangkoehn

Re: Support for tags inside _ORIGWORD_ property of href

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Greetings Rúbio,
Do you have an example module that uses the ORIGWORD . I am curious how it works. Thanks
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

There's HiSB, for instance. And also for bible modules exported from iBiblia.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
JG

Post by JG »

I suggest to use square bracket [ ] around the word instead.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

Hm... I wonder if it's possible to replace the <FI> tags for brackets in a single verse rule.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
JG

Post by JG »

Is what you really want an _INTERLINEAR_ placeholder?

_ORIGWORD_ is surely just for the original word, which logically cannot be something added by translator, which is what the <FI> tags are supposed to indicate, in this software
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
RubioTerra

Post by RubioTerra »

Good point JG, I guess it is a deviation from the original purpose. It is being used to make clear what portion of the text refers to the original word being displayed on a popup. This is very useful when one word of the original is being translated into many words. This is not readily obvious for a user reading the translation, but when he points to a word he can see that it is, in fact, a multi-word translation.
I'm not sure what this placeholder should be called, though.
Rúbio R. C. Terra
Brasília/DF - Brasil
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

So basically something to differientate between direct translation (some call it word for word/literal) and words added to smooth the translation?

NASB tends to use italics for words added for smoothing.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
JG

Post by JG »

RubioTerra wrote:Good point JG, I guess it is a deviation from the original purpose. It is being used to make clear what portion of the text refers to the original word being displayed on a popup. This is very useful when one word of the original is being translated into many words. This is not readily obvious for a user reading the translation, but when he points to a word he can see that it is, in fact, a multi-word translation.
I'm not sure what this placeholder should be called, though.
I have made some Greek interlinear and reverse interlinear, Bibles for myself, and found it was the way forward to use the [ ] instead. If Costas makes provision in the future then it would be easy to change.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software