issues with Ubuntu 20.4 / Wine / modules

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
ratix

issues with Ubuntu 20.4 / Wine / modules

Post by ratix »

Hello, I just installed a fresh Ubuntu 20.04 and theWord on wine.
I ran into issues because the internal module manager didn't work. (Message: File [] is not a known file type or archive)
Solution: manual download, then start a terminal window in ubuntu, start "wine cmd" and call the downloaded files directly. Don't forget double quotes ( " ) around filenames containing spaces or special characters.

I had a non-reproduceable error with filenames containing a tick ( ' ).
As a solution, I installed 7-zip in wine and did the extraction manually, resulting in 5 files; moving the twm file into the appropriate directory worked well. After I did this, the ticks in the filenames started no error when calling the files directly. Perhaps this hint is of help to someone.

Thanks for the work on theWord!
Christian
ratix

Re: issues with Ubuntu 20.4 / Wine / modules

Post by ratix »

Additional hint for modules from bibelkommentare.de (example: dictionary)

Installing 7-zip(64 bit) in wine and then
Z:\home\christian\Downloads>"C:/Program Files/7-zip/7z.exe" e bibelkommentare.dct.twzip
Z:\home\christian\Downloads>move bibelkommentare.dct.twm C:\theword\Books

did the job.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

I run TW version 5.0.0.1489 in both Ubuntu Mate 20.4 and Linux Mint 20 Mate, both running wine 5.10. I don't have any issues and TW runs very well in these environments. I run both in an SSD and performance is very strong. I am not sure what is causing your problem.

Darrel
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

DarrelW wrote:I run TW version 5.0.0.1489 in both Ubuntu Mate 20.4 and Linux Mint 20 Mate, both running wine 5.10. I don't have any issues and TW runs very well in these environments. I run both in an SSD and performance is very strong. I am not sure what is causing your problem.

Darrel
Darrel,

At the risk of hijacking this thread, do you use the clipboard manager with theWord?

I tried an earlier version of Wine 5 some time ago (on MX Linux) and even though I had it set to open "at current position of mouse", it would pop up elsewhere and then immediately disappear. (If I recall I could make it stay by unchecking auto-close on movement of mouse, but I didn't like that).

Anyway, I went back to the old version of Wine provided by the package manager as it seems to work fine. But I am curious as to whether it may be fixed.

Thanks!
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Only from copying scripture and having TW return the verse. In that context it works nicely (for me). Is that what you wanted to know?
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

DarrelW wrote:Only from copying scripture and having TW return the verse. In that context it works nicely (for me). Is that what you wanted to know?
Sorry, I meant the clipboard monitor, where you can copy a reference from anywhere, LibreOffice, the internet, anywhere. I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing or not.
Clipboard Monitor: Read the Text of Any Verse in Any Program

Reading something in a web page or a PDF file that contains a verse reference? No need to stop and go to your Bible program to check what the verses say anymore: you may just select the verse reference with your mouse and copy it to the clipboard. If running, The Word will instantly display a popup window under your mouse displaying the verse text. You don’t need to leave your web-browser and go back to your Bible program!
https://www.theword.net/manual/clipboard_monitor.htm
Jeff

DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Well, I have TW open in the background. I can then either type a scripture in another program or highlight a scripture in another application and have TW return the actual verse. Is that what you're referring to?
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

DarrelW wrote:Well, I have TW open in the background. I can then either type a scripture in another program or highlight a scripture in another application and have TW return the actual verse. Is that what you're referring to?
Yes. Thanks.
Jeff

DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Ok, that does work for me :)
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

DarrelW wrote:Ok, that does work for me :)
:D

If you don't mind humoring me further, would you mind checking your preferences? I like mine like this:
Clipboard Monitor.png
Clipboard Monitor.png (40.67 KiB) Viewed 5067 times
And as I mentioned it didn't work well for me with an early version of Wine 5 (it would appear momentarily, but not under the cursor, then disappear before I could read it).

Actually it may not matter, I'm kind of inclined now to stick with the stable package manager version of Wine as it works well with theWord for me. And I didn't mean to get the OP off track this far, I just wanted to catch you as you mentioned you were on Wine 5.

Thanks again!
Jeff

DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Hey Jeff,
I am running wine 5.10, and the only difference is I have "Register CTRL+SHIFT+V global hotkey to paste back to clipboard verse text" checked. Otherwise we're the same.

I like how TW plays in wine on linux, but I am seriously looking at BibleAnalyzer. Tim is doing some really good work. I have attached 2 screenshots showing what happens when you click the interlinear button for both OT and NT. It's pretty cool stuff.

Darrel
Attachments
OT.png
OT.png (222.42 KiB) Viewed 5066 times
NT.png
NT.png (225.2 KiB) Viewed 5066 times
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Yes. I also like the fact that Bible Analyzer runs natively on Linux. If I had started with Linux it would most likely be my main Bible program, and I would most likely be on a more Ubuntu based version, as I understand that is what Tim develops for (though I would gladly switch if I needed to, and there's a good chance I will when my version EOLs), even though I have BA installed and it seems to work well no more than I've used it.

I just have so much invested in theWord, and as feature rich as BA is, I think there is still much that I would miss in theWord which does just about everything I need and more, and it would take me a long time to completely adapt to anything else. As long as tW works so well on Wine I can't see doing without it, though sometimes I think about being Wine free and I enjoy following the development of BA.

Thanks for your help and thoughts!
Jeff

DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

I really struggle with this area. I have 36 Gb of resources on TW, but I have about 30 Gb on BibleAnalyzer. Part of what I find with BA - Tim does things completely different than other programs. He's actually rewriting the Scripture Pad to be HTML-based, which allows one to create modules a lot easier. But I am still pondering.....
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Well, Tim's OS of choice is Windows. He does Linux development in a VirtualBox, and he also has a Mac version.