theWord Not Returning to Where I Left Off

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
desilva

theWord Not Returning to Where I Left Off

Post by desilva »

Every time I close theWord and open it again, it takes me to Exodus 37. No matter where I am in the bible when I open it back I am on Exo 37. How can I fix this?
JG

Re: theWord Not Returning to Where I Left Off

Post by JG »

Have you been running this installation long and it suddenly happened?
Have you changed anything on your computer recently.
Do window positions appear to go back to previous sizes if you resize them and restart theWord?
If so it seems that something is preventing your config.ini file from being written.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
desilva

Post by desilva »

JG wrote:Have you been running this installation long and it suddenly happened? - Yes, I have been running installation for a few years in dropbox. It happened about 3 months ago.
Have you changed anything on your computer recently. - No
Do window positions appear to go back to previous sizes if you resize them and restart theWord? Yes, everything appears normal (bookmarks and things)except it goes back to Exodus
If so it seems that something is preventing your config.ini file from being written.
- Can I delete config.ini and start anew without losing anything?
JG

Post by JG »

rename it so that you can always revert back to it.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
desilva

Post by desilva »

JG wrote:rename it so that you can always revert back to it.
I did that and lost all my settings, so I went back to the old conf.ini --- I guess I will have to live with Exodus 37 as my start page awhile longer.

Thanks for help.
JG

Post by JG »

can you upload your config.ini and I will see if it behaves the same for me. You might have to zip it.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
desilva

Post by desilva »

Sure. Can I upload to you alone, or is it to the entire forum?
JG

Post by JG »

I have downloaded and removed the post for your privacy
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
JG

Post by JG »

I was able to change to a different verse and it open to the place I left off.
Something I want you to test. Change the Bible view and go to a different Bible book go from Compare to normal and restart theWord. Wait 30 seconds before restart.

If that does not make any difference can you also change your settings so that you will get a crash report generated. It is possible you get a silent crash and don't know.
0001 Jon theWord_2020-07-01_102018.jpg
0001 Jon theWord_2020-07-01_102018.jpg (197.36 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
Note I unchecked the Other options just for myself, you don't need to change what you have there.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
desilva

Post by desilva »

I have changed many different combinations for bible view 1. I have reached success only to have Exodus 37 pop back up. I think it has something to do with the syncing bible view 1 with my bible view 2. I will tinker with it some more when I have time. No crash reports were generated.

Thanks again for your help. If you have any ideas about why the syncing two bible views are cause this please let me know.

UPDATE - I think it was syncing a verse list. I discovered a verse list and at the top of the list was Exodus 37. Hopefully, the problem is solved
JG

Post by JG »

Strange that it did not cause a problem for me.
Is this a regular install, or a compact usb install you have? Are you running it from the cloud?

ok lets see how you go.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
desilva

Post by desilva »

Compact install. Running out of dropbox located locally on my machine. Bible View 3 had a verse list which synced with bible view 1. I don't understand it all, but I am glad after months of having this problem it is gone.
Rich

Post by Rich »

desilva wrote:Every time I close theWord and open it again, it takes me to Exodus 37. No matter where I am in the bible when I open it back I am on Exo 37. How can I fix this?
desilva,
I had the same issue probably three years ago but I don't remember what I did to fix it. If it happens again I will check the verse list sync that you mentioned.