audio link under linux mint 17.3 using wine

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
wsbones

audio link under linux mint 17.3 using wine

Post by wsbones »

I can't seem to get audio links to open mp3 files under linux mint 17.3 with wine installed. It works in Win10. I have the 1189 Scourby audio files in this linux directory /home/wsb/Desktop/KJV-Scourby/ .

I have also tried them in the Wine C:\KJV-Scourby directory. Nothing happens when I click the link, however when I double click the files themselves, they open and play. I am not sure how to specify the link to make it open in theWord. Any help would be appreciated.

Image screenshot of dialog box

Thanks.
Bill
DarrelW

Re: audio link under linux mint 17.3 using wine

Post by DarrelW »

Has there been any movement on this? I have built the mp3 files, built the audio commentary. Then when I click on the "Click to listen" I don't get anything! WineCFG shows pulse audio as the sound source, but I get nothing! Am I missing something or does there need to be something else done? Help!

Darrel
wsbones

Post by wsbones »

DarrelW wrote:Has there been any movement on this? I have built the mp3 files, built the audio commentary. Then when I click on the "Click to listen" I don't get anything! WineCFG shows pulse audio as the sound source, but I get nothing! Am I missing something or does there need to be something else done? Help!

Darrel
The situation is still the same. The links do not work for audio. I listen using the VLC audio player while following in the Bible text.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

I was thinking the same. I currently run Peppermint OS9 with the latest release of Wine. All the latest distros that I use (Peppermint, Linux Mint Ubuntu Mate) are based off Ubuntu 18.04. I find TW runs very nicely in my environment, and the voice part really is not an issue of TW. But, sigh, I would still really like voice! :P

Darrel
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Just checking to see if anything has surfaced yet. I am now running Linux Mint 20 and LMDE4 with wine 5.22 - and still cannot get the audio working. Anyone have any success?

Darrel
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Steve Mathetes gave some excellent help on getting audio to work in Linux. Now this is not the "cleanest" method, but it works!

Install a media player, such as VLC, in windows. Now click on your commentary audio link (in my case I have ESV Audio commentary, so I click on as an example Acts 17:1-34, then "Click to Listen") and it works! I now have audio playing on any audio commentary I have installed!

As Steve says, the next step is to figure out how to create a proper mime link to default to a linux application. That should allow windows audio to play through your desired Linux audio program. But this is a start!

Darrel