Linux Mint 20 font issue

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
whitelioncub

Linux Mint 20 font issue

Post by whitelioncub »

Running theWord beta 1507 on Mint 20 and Wine 5.22 and it's working very well outside of one little font issue I cannot figure out. I've swapped fonts and installed in every folder I've read about, but sill this issue persists. Does anyone know where this portion of the program is calling the font from? Please see the image where I circled the boxes. The Greek and Hebrew fonts work fine elsewhere, just not in these areas.
fontissue1.png
fontissue1.png (262.76 KiB) Viewed 4917 times
Thanks
Bobby
Jeff

Re: Linux Mint 20 font issue

Post by Jeff »

Edit your english.lng file. If you don't know where it's located, go to Help>About and click on the File Locations" tab.

About the seventh line down on mine it read "#font=Consolas", I changed it to "font=FreeSans" and it works for me. You can also try other fonts such as DejaVu Serif, or whatever works for you. Make sure you uncomment the line (remove the #).
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
whitelioncub

Post by whitelioncub »

Thank you so much Jeff!! Your solution worked perfectly! I used the FreeSans as suggested and everything looks great now! I am really pleased how well theWord is working in Linux so far! Thanks again for your help! Much appreciated!
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Glad it helped! And welcome to the forum.
Jeff

therapon

Post by therapon »

Consolas is a monospaced font, FreeSans is a proportional one. That will change the text alignment in some circumstances.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

therapon wrote:Consolas is a monospaced font, FreeSans is a proportional one. That will change the text alignment in some circumstances.
Thanks. It's just for the GUI skin from what I can see, and FreeSans seems to work well for it.

I am interested if others have found a font or solution that works best? I think I've seen where people used Dejavu and SBL BibLit, but Hebrew doesn't look right to me when I try it, FreeSans looks better, mainly because of the vowel pointings or whatever seem way off. Admittedly it's mainly cosmetic to me as I'm not exactly fluent in Hebrew.

I tried installing Consolas, but it didn't seem to work well for me.

What are others using Linux, especially those more into original language studies, using for fonts? (Not necessarily just the GUI, but Bible and book modules?)
Jeff

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

FreeMono works, but the English portions of the UI it doesn't look nearly as good as FreeSans to me.

Any other ideas?

I thought I had solved it by doing what Bobby had tried; installing and copying fonts. If so, I wasn't able to remember what font I copied where when I upgraded my distro, and searching the forum I could only find editing the language file.

Unless someone knows, or I find something better, I think I'll stick with FreeSans as it seems to work for that purpose.

Thanks.
Jeff

DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

I tried both of those and it was not pretty! SBL Biblit still works best for me. I run both LMDE4 and LM20.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

DarrelW wrote:I tried both of those and it was not pretty! SBL Biblit still works best for me. I run both LMDE4 and LM20.
Thanks Darrel!

It does seem to work well. For some reason I thought I had some problem with either the Greek or Hebrew font that I'm not seeing now. Maybe I just wasn't used to the serif type font on the UI or some other senseless reason.

If think SBL BibLit must be a proportional font as the English portion is essentially Times New Roman as I understand, but it doesn't make a difference in the UI as far I as can tell, and you use it for all modules as well as in the Language File?

Thanks again for your input as always!

(BTW I'm using MX Linux with Wine 5.22)
Jeff

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Jeff wrote:For some reason I thought I had some problem with either the Greek or Hebrew font that I'm not seeing now.
Actually, I remember now. The vowel pointing on the Hebrew letters seem off to me when I use SBL BibLit. But again, I'm not an expert on Hebrew so maybe it's just me.
Jeff