Version #

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
DarrelW

Re: Version #

Post by DarrelW »

I don't want to get into a mud-slinging contest. I wrote code for too many years so I understand a bit regarding various os's. We will probably just have to agree to disagree.
JG

Post by JG »

DarrelW wrote:I don't want to get into a mud-slinging contest. I wrote code for too many years so I understand a bit regarding various os's. We will probably just have to agree to disagree.
It is just a clear statement that we published clearly in the Newsletter February 2021, it is not a personal opinion.
NewsletterClip.jpg
NewsletterClip.jpg (205.6 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
therapon

Post by therapon »

Time out, Jon.

This is the "Getting help" section of the forum. I asked a question seeking help to understand what changed in the program so that its behavior was different. Apparently something did since up to v.1500 it behaves one way consistently and from v.1501 on it is different. I can run the two versions simultaneously and see the difference which leads me to believe something is different in theWord.

You failed to see why that particular detail is important to me so I explained how it fits my use case and workflow. At no point have I asked for a program change or support for a particular OS. I simply want to know what is different. So... I am waiting patiently for Costas to check it out. And since things change in the Windows world from time to time, it could be helpful for Costas to know one unanticipated effect of the changes in 1501.

And, by the way, I do have reasons other than simple geekishness for running Linux rather than Windows. Applications in Linux have numerous features that simply do not exist in Windows (that I have been able to find) that save me hundreds of hours in the course of a year - that is important to a pastor. So also is the cost to purchase an operating system and support it.

Again, I haven't asked anyone to change anything and I will not for this particular issue. I would just like a helpful explanation of the change so I will know if there is something I can change in my settings to revert back to the original behavior.

Thanks for understanding.

And I'll be happy to help Costas verify the results if he does decide to make changes.
therapon

Post by therapon »

I posted some further information last night but it seems to have disappeared. Oh well, gotta love technology! Here it is again.

It is related to the dpi setting.

96 dpi everything appears in its usual place
100 dpi the version info is moved down a line and partially obscured by the OK button
105 dpi the version info is moved down another line and further to the right
110 dpi the version info is pushed "off the page" to the right - to reduce eye strain, this is my default setting

The version info and OK button appear "stuck" to the right border of the window and resizing the About dialog doesn't change that relationship. Resizing the dialog or even maximizing it does not make the version information appear. It's like the version info is in a table cell, as the size of text changes because of the dpi setting and the text reflows it moves out of view.

It appears that the changes relating to how theWord manages things for hi-dpi displays affected the placement of the version information, at least in WINE. Can't tell about Windows because I don't see how to change display scaling for Win10 running in Virtualbox.
JG

Post by JG »

I agree with your conclusions.
When I set Wine to anything above 96dpi there is an issue.
Same for Windows 10 when scaled above 100%
To find the setting for this simply search Display settings, in the Windows search, on the task bar.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet