Linux Installation 9/2020

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
zmaint

Linux Installation 9/2020

Post by zmaint »

Very pleased this is so easy to install. I had nothing but trouble trying to get newer versions of a another similar application to run stable and to actually download resources. Hats off to the authors for making this so friendly. I don't know something similar has been posted for Linux yet, but I thought I would share in case it helps someone. I'm using Solus Plasma, but this should work on any distribution that has access to Wine and Lutris (which I sincerely think is all of them, but I haven't personally tested all 1500+ lol...)

Download theWord installer.

Install Lutris - this should be in nearly every distros GUI software center. If you do not have Wine installed or do not have Lutris in your repo, just go to lutris.net and follow the instructions. Here's a quick link as well to their Wine instructions. https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki It is also a helpful resource if you're trying to get set up for gaming and your distro doesn't come with anything pre-installed and not much in the way of good help.

Make a folder anywhere you want. Call it theWord for sake of simplicity.

Open Lutris.
Click Add Game (+ icon at the top left)
Name it theWord
Select Wine as your runner.
Next tab over, Game Options, Executable Path, browse for wherever you downloaded theWord installer exe.
Again in the Game Options tab, set both your Working Directory and Wine Prefix as the folder theWord that you made earlier. Leave the Prefix on AUTO.
On the Runner Options tab you can select any recent version of Wine. I'm using Lutris' 5.7.10 version but it should run fine with most versions.
Click SAVE bottom right.
Click on theWord and hit PLAY. It will run the installer. Let it do what it wants to. Select whatever pre-installed resources you want.
After it has completed install, exit out of theWord.
In Lutris, right click on theWord and select Configure from the context menu.
Change the Executable Path. Just click Browse and select theWord.exe. If you let it do the default in a folder named theWord, should look something like this: /home/yourusername/theWord/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/The Word/theword.exe Your path may vary depending on where you made your folder.
Click SAVE bottom right.

If you want, you can have Lutris make a desktop or application menu shortcut.

All done. No winetricks or any other magic needed to get this to work. Very well written program, just runs well. Very snappy and it all works great out of the box. I miss Brown Driver Briggs and the Eth Cepher but other than that everything I need is there (if anyone knows how I can get either of these in theWord please let me know, does not need to be free content, happy to support)

I prefer using Lutris for my Wine installs. It leaves everything in nice sand boxed bottles so you don't end up breaking other programs while experimenting to get something else to work. If needed you can also run winetricks, wine config, etc, all from Lutris. It really makes Wine pretty user friendly.

*Edit* It is possible you may need to change/install additional fonts depending on what modules/bibles you use. I found that for me The Scriptures 2009 worked much better with Noto Sans. If you want to use MS fonts, you will need to use Winetricks to install Corefonts and other misc fonts like Tahoma. I am not using any MS fonts and it works fine for me, but each distro will likely be different in the fonts that come with it.
Last edited by zmaint on Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarrelW

Re: Linux Installation 9/2020

Post by DarrelW »

Search wordmodules.com for Jonathan's BDB. I use TW on Linux Mint 20 and LMDE 4 both running wine 5.18 and it just plays beautifully.

Darrel
zmaint

Post by zmaint »

Thank you DarrelW I hadn't even thought to look there. I've already got several good new resource modules added!
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Not sure where you're at, but TW now has BDAG and TDNT (both kinda pricey but really good), also VGNTS is a superb dictionary! You might also click on Add Titles from within TW, and then in the upper right corner select Rubio's Repositories. There are some really good modules listed there.

TW is rapidly equaling what a lot of pricey programs offer, for a whole lot less money. I run LOGOS 9 for Linux (Yes, LOGOS can now run on Linus. The install script is here: https://github.com/ferion11/LogosLinuxInstaller/) just so I can compare and check out various features. And while there are some things I would love to see TW start doing, there is not much that I would be willing to shell out that much $$ for.

I run on a quad-core, 16 Gb box, SSD, with 3 monitors, and dual boot between LM20 and LMDE4. I do tend to use LMDE4 more than anything else. My setup screams and just works! Also the latest beta, 5.0.0.1505 is just awesome and very stable!

Darrel
tux_peng

Post by tux_peng »

Here's a script for TheWord and corefonts

Code: Select all

lutris -i https://pastebin.com/raw/QQCS2xNn
rizarefaldi

Post by rizarefaldi »

tux_peng wrote:Here's a script for TheWord and corefonts ukuran a4

Code: Select all

lutris -i https://pastebin.com/raw/QQCS2xNn
the installation use wine?
how to install without wine?
tux_peng

Post by tux_peng »

Lutris is a GUI for WINE, it's main focus is game. Install it using your distro's package manager on snap (flatpak needs a different command) It installs WINE.
Crossover office also works good if you've bought it

AFAIK TW would need to be rewritten with qt gtk or wxwidgets to work on Linux without wine
kennaanna

Post by kennaanna »

zmaint wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:57 am Very pleased this is so easy to install. I had nothing but trouble trying to get newer versions of a another similar application to run stable and to actually download resources. Hats off to the authors for making this so friendly. I don't know something similar has been posted for Linux yet, but I thought I would share in case it helps someone. I'm using Solus Plasma, but this should work on any distribution that has access to Wine and Lutris (which I sincerely think is all of them, but I haven't personally tested all 1500+ lol...)

Install Lutris - this should be in nearly every distros GUI software center. If you do not have Wine installed or do not have Lutris in your repo, just go to lutris.net and follow the instructions. Here's a quick link as well to their Wine instructions. https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki rice purity test It is also a helpful resource if you're trying to get set up for gaming and your distro doesn't come with anything pre-installed and not much in the way of good help.

Make a folder anywhere you want. Call it theWord for sake of simplicity.

Open Lutris.
Click Add Game (+ icon at the top left)
Name it theWord
Select Wine as your runner.
Next tab over, Game Options, Executable Path, browse for wherever you downloaded theWord installer exe.
Again in the Game Options tab, set both your Working Directory and Wine Prefix as the folder theWord that you made earlier. Leave the Prefix on AUTO.
On the Runner Options tab you can select any recent version of Wine. I'm using Lutris' 5.7.10 version but it should run fine with most versions.
Click SAVE bottom right.
Click on theWord and hit PLAY. It will run the installer. Let it do what it wants to. Select whatever pre-installed resources you want.
After it has completed install, exit out of theWord.
In Lutris, right click on theWord and select Configure from the context menu.
Change the Executable Path. Just click Browse and select theWord.exe. If you let it do the default in a folder named theWord, should look something like this: /home/yourusername/theWord/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/The Word/theword.exe Your path may vary depending on where you made your folder.
Click SAVE bottom right.

If you want, you can have Lutris make a desktop or application menu shortcut.

All done. No winetricks or any other magic needed to get this to work. Very well written program, just runs well. Very snappy and it all works great out of the box. I miss Brown Driver Briggs and the Eth Cepher but other than that everything I need is there (if anyone knows how I can get either of these in theWord please let me know, does not need to be free content, happy to support)

I prefer using Lutris for my Wine installs. It leaves everything in nice sand boxed bottles so you don't end up breaking other programs while experimenting to get something else to work. If needed you can also run winetricks, wine config, etc, all from Lutris. It really makes Wine pretty user friendly.

*Edit* It is possible you may need to change/install additional fonts depending on what modules/bibles you use. I found that for me The Scriptures 2009 worked much better with Noto Sans. If you want to use MS fonts, you will need to use Winetricks to install Corefonts and other misc fonts like Tahoma. I am not using any MS fonts and it works fine for me, but each distro will likely be different in the fonts that come with it.
Glad to hear you found the installation process straightforward! Your detailed guide for using theWord on Linux with Wine and Lutris is incredibly helpful. Kudos to you for sharing this valuable information—it might save someone else a lot of time and trouble. Cheers to the community spirit!
CaylaNicolasMD

Post by CaylaNicolasMD »

Great to hear that the installation process was smooth for you! Kudos to the developers for making it user-friendly. For Linux users on Solus Plasma or any distribution with access to Wine and Lutris, here's a quick guide to install theWord:

Install Lutris through your distro's software center.
Create a folder (e.g., theWord) anywhere you prefer.
Open Lutris, add a new game named theWord, and select Wine as the runner.
In the Game Options tab, set the Executable Path to the location of theWord installer exe and set the Working Directory and Wine Prefix as the folder you created.
On the Runner Options tab, choose a recent version of Wine.
Save, click on theWord, and hit PLAY to run the installer.
After installation, exit theWord.
In Lutris, configure theWord, changing the Executable Path to theWord.exe in the folder you created.
Save the changes.
To mention GBWhatsApp Pro APK in a short reply: "Also, GBWhatsApp Pro APK is worth checking out for additional features and customization options."