Change yellow highlighting to a custom color?

Ideas and suggestions about new features
LeeJames

Change yellow highlighting to a custom color?

Post by LeeJames »

The default color of TheWord is too bright for using at night, so I always have the background color set to black, with the text set to yellow.

This works really well for me and I'm happy with it. The only small problem is that it's impossible to see highlighted words in search results because they are highlighted in yellow, and the words are also yellow. So the only way to see the text is to select it, which I've been doing for many years now.

But one day it would be good if a new version could let you change the highlighting color to a custom color?

Then again, maybe this problem has already been fixed? I haven't updated the software since 2012. The latest version is reported as containing malware so I will not install it. I'm hoping that future versions will report malware free so I can use them. Thanks :)
JG

Re: Change yellow highlighting to a custom color?

Post by JG »

Just a tip for night time use in a dark room. Set Night light mode if you have Windows 10. There is also a setting to change it automatically between certain hours.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Lee wrote:
But one day it would be good if a new version could let you change the highlighting color to a custom color?
You can highlight in custom colors, at least in version 5, I thought version 4 also; or are you asking for a way to universally change highlighting colors that are already set?
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
LeeJames

Post by LeeJames »

Thanks for the replies! :)
JG wrote:Set Night light mode if you have Windows 10.
I use Windows 7. I do use a utility called Gamma Panel to keep the brightness low at night, I also always have my screen brightness low, because I have sensitive eyes and skin. But this is beside the point, I would not want to be looking at any white background at night, even with the screen dimmed. It would make me feel dizzy, so I have all my applications set to have a black background.
Jeff wrote:You can highlight in custom colors, at least in version 5, I thought version 4 also; or are you asking for a way to universally change highlighting colors that are already set?
Sorry, I'm not talking about manually highlighting the text, I'm talking about search results. I do like a million searches per day and when the results appear, the words you searched for are always highlighted in yellow.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Lee wrote: Sorry, I'm not talking about manually highlighting the text, I'm talking about search results.
You did say that:
Lee wrote:The only small problem is that it's impossible to see highlighted words in search results ...
My mistake. :oops:
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
LeeJames

Post by LeeJames »

Jeff wrote:My mistake. :oops:
Ha ha. :) It makes a welcome change to find genuine humility in a forum. Usually I find myself under attack from everyone.
tysoncortwright9

Post by tysoncortwright9 »

Setting it to a night mode is a great thing, but it doesn't change that many things, actually. A better solution would be highlighting custom colors.
tysoncortwright9

Setting it to a night mode is a great thing, but it doesn't change that many things, actually. A better solution would be highlighting custom colors.
tysoncortwright9

LeeJames wrote:The default color of TheWord is too bright for using at night, so I always have the background color set to black, with the text set to yellow.

This works really well for me and I'm happy with it. The only small problem is that it's impossible to see highlighted words in search results because they are highlighted in yellow, and the words are also yellow. So the only way to see the text is to select it, which I've been doing for many years now.

Then again, maybe this problem has already been fixed? I haven't updated the software since 2012. The latest version is reported as containing malware so I will not install it. I'm hoping that future versions will report malware free so I can use them. Thanks :)