book to book hyperlinks?

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
Jeff

Re: book to book hyperlinks?

Post by Jeff »

DarrelW wrote:I have forgotten. Where canI get TotheWord?
https://forum.theword.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10735
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Thanks Jeff.
JG

Post by JG »

Actually that is the old version built on Lazarus. We will have to wait for Jonathan to upload something more recent/stable.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
gungadout

Post by gungadout »

Thanks for your replies, Jonathan and others.

GrkAnLex seems to be no longer available to look at. Windows is hesitant about running ToTheWord.

However, I have successfully linked to Easton subjects from an extracted portion of the commentary I am converting. So it will be simple for me to programmatically insert appropriate links to the various dictionaries, into the full-blown commentary.

Also on the bright side, I successfully extracted the Easton dictionary to an RTF file using the Database2RTF facility. That can be an example to guide me when generating the appropriate target (bookmark?) RTF code inside the dictionaries I am converting. That aspect is under control, too.

I have one challenge left. I have not been able to successfully import a renamed copy of the RTF Easton dictionary back into TheWord. Not so that I can link to it, anyway. A facility (program) to simply take an RTF file and create a TheWord dictionary module directly from it, is all I need. If the importer has that ability, I don’t know how to trigger it – it apparently only generates commentaries and books.

If someone tells me authoritatively that ToTheWord has that option, I will try running it on an old computer, so that any deleterious results will be of no consequence.

Thanks for the help provided so far. If others can benefit from my experience once I have completed my task, I will be glad to share what I have learned.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

GrkAnLex is an official module here:https://www.theword.net/index.php?downl ... &l=english

I'll try to post a more recent TotheWord this week. As to windows and running. It works fine on my end and others on Windows 10.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

TotheWord - D1.5.3 Full.zip is the latest version at this time as of 5/23/2022 and has been uploaded to the link in the topic mentioned by Jeff above.
It works for making Books for theWord as well as Bibles. However, the help file is slow going so please spend sometime understanding the changelog file and exploring the help. As noted above help via (email or forum is limited).
Note this is a tool we are using to make official content so that should let you know it can produce quality work if you dig into it.
Note it is working fine on Windows 10. It is a development software with constant changes so don't be surprised if there are many new additions from time to time since as we note additions we need.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
gungadout

Post by gungadout »

Clever me (I thought).

I saw that the importer could import e-Sword files. So why not see if the Tool Tip facility would read and write DCTX and RTF formats? Maybe I could obtain an e-Sword formatted RTF file from a DCTX file, use that as a program-modifiable template, and then create a DCTX file from the revised RTF file?

So I installed the latest versions of e-Sword and the Tool Tip facility, and used e-Sword to download/install a couple of public domain DCTX files. (Hee hee!)

Well, the Tool Tip program would not load the public domain DCTX files. It said they were version 4, and gave me the option of loading them as type DCTI. I tried that, only to be told that they were licensed modules.

What else could I try? Ahah! I used the Database to RTF Converter to extract a public domain DCTX file,

Unfortunately, that didn’t work either. When I went to save the unchanged RTF file in DCTX format, it didn’t save, but the RTF display kept looping at fast rate. When I managed to stop the scrolling, I got the message:

Report the following:
⎕WI OBJECT ERROR: Object "fmTxCtrl" not found
TxSelection[19] obj ⎕wi 'xsellength' 0
^

TxSelection[19] *
WriteDctx[49]
>[???DELETED???;Click]
<[???DELETED???;Wait]
Start[108]

Being a sucker for punishment, I wondered what would happen if I simply used the importer to directly convert a native public domain DCTX file to a TWM dictionary. It worked without throwing any errors. But the result contained Ā뛱ᑢ椒皼滯둔ἇ꧎闛낌캬쭁段垥唯஬쓑᣼龉쫡⊨墴逩鄰釅❉䚋ྸ仱@䰟㯇柌跦嚞껫쵟祖멼㦭姧混ແ飬窼ꭰ䲻앎䀳䑎㡪 as the first line for the topic “earth”.

Maybe I should drink a Harvey Wallbanger (alcoholic cocktail) to ease the headache caused by my continued head banging.

Hasn’t anyone ever simply directly converted an RTF file into a DCT.TWM file? (The largest dictionary I wish to convert contains over 6,000 entries – a mammoth task if attempted manually. And I have up to 10 dictionaries to convert.)
JG

Post by JG »

If you can PM me a link to the rtf file I will see if it is easy to do.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
gungadout

Post by gungadout »

Thanks, Jon.

If you use the Database to RTF converter to extract the Easton dictionary (from TheWord), then that will do as the sample. I have the ability to use that file as the template for automatically (programmatically) generating a syntactically equivalent file from each dictionary I need to convert. I already know how to do that. What I have been unable to determine is how to convert such a generated file into a dct.twm file.

If you can successfully create a dct.twm file from a renamed copy of the extracted Easton rtf file, then I can employ the same method. It may simply be that in all my unsuccessful experimenting, I have overlooked something.

I’ve even tried placing boolmarks within individual files included (by the importer) in a gbk, and accessing those using the construction

{\field{\*\fldinst HYPERLINK "tw://gbk name?t=individual file name#bookmark id-"}{\fldrslt display word}}

but that was fruitless. Maybe I did not do that in the proper fashion.

I’m interested to see what you come up with.

Thanks again.
gungadout

Post by gungadout »

I may have found a solution.

I played around with the importer some more, trying different things.

I seem to have found a potential solution. The display doesn't look neat at the moment, but that may just be the way I've set things up.

Let me play some more, and I will report here what I have ended up with.
gungadout

Post by gungadout »

I've found a solution I'm potentially happy with. Thank you to all who made helpful suggestions and offered help.

It's getting late here Down Under, and it's been a long day. So I'll be heading for bed soon.

I'll post the code segments that I'll use as a base for the commentary file and the "dictionary" (gbk) files, once I've used them to actually generate those files and ironed out any problems that I may run into.

Hopefully other people may find the techniques useful if faced with converting voluminous text-based files.

I may even be able to help non-technical people find one of the simple but powerful computer languages that can be learned quickly and be of great help in converting files - much easier to learn and use than say, C, VisualBasic, and the like.

Scareey.