Spell Checking

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
Teleios

Spell Checking

Post by Teleios »

Until TW has built-in spell checking, I've found a solution that works reasonably well. It's a small program called tinySpell that adds spell checking to any Windows program. I've just now started to try it out and it isn't quite as good as a native spell checker but it is very helpful.

It is a small app that runs in your system tray. When you misspell a word, a small pop-up appears and the tray icon changes color. You can use a hotkey or click the icon to open a dialog with suggested words and correct the text in TW. You can add words to the dictionary as well. There are 2 versions, one free and one "donation-ware" that has extra features. I've set it up on my system so TW is the only program it interacts with.

If you try it out, let me know what you think - I'm just curious. I have nothing to do with the program or the authors.
TinySpell Site: http://tinyspell.numerit.com
Review: http://forums.wincustomize.com/403103

Note: there are 9 language dictionaries available on the tinySpell site.
Teleios

Re: Spell Checking

Post by Teleios »

Well, A little more experimenting and I found that MS Word doesn't play nice with tinySpell. At least that's what it seems. 2 things occurred. First, MS Word lost the ability to drag-select and then second, TW's clipboard monitor window kept popping up unexpectedly. I'm disabling tinySpell for now.

If anyone else gets it to work, let me know.
William

Post by William »

MS Office (Word & Excel for sure) do funny things with the clipboard.

I know when I'm using Excel for certain BCV procedures,
copying and pasting with theWord clipboard monitor enabled causes issues.

There are so many ways for developers to use and manipulate the clipboard,
I don't expect everything to always work in unison, I just look for ways to live with it.
That's a real challenge when 4 or 5 programs all want to control and own the clipboard :lol:

Thanks for the tinySpell info & link.
:D
Teleios

Post by Teleios »

This is an old thread but I have an update to share. I am working on an in-depth study of Galatians and began to miss a spell-checker in my commentary notes. I decided to give Tiny Spell another try and downloaded the "+" version which after a trial period costs $10. I'm glad I did. The aforementioned problem with MS Word highlighting is gone and there are a few extra features. One of these is the ability to check all of the text on the clipboard. When text is placed on the clipboard, Tiny Spell will spell-check it and then display an editor window where corrections can be made. Nice feature.

All in all, I think Tiny Spell will help a lot.
William

Post by William »

Very nice.

Thanks for the info and update.
ixoye71

Post by ixoye71 »

Has anybody found a better way in the last 6 years to do spell-check in theWord? It's a major pain to not have that tool that we all rely on in the rest of our computer work. But the program has so many other great features that I don't want to complain - but I sure wish we had that one feature. But, has anybody else found work-arounds (beside doing notes in another program and copying into the notes portion of theWord?)
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

ixoye71 wrote:Has anybody found a better way in the last 6 years to do spell-check in theWord? It's a major pain to not have that tool that we all rely on in the rest of our computer work. But the program has so many other great features that I don't want to complain - but I sure wish we had that one feature. But, has anybody else found work-arounds (beside doing notes in another program and copying into the notes portion of theWord?)
If you're interested in trying the latest beta (5.0.0.1489) there is some progress. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3890 (How to access beta versions of theWord)

You should read through these threads to see how to use and the problems:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7529 (Spell checking feature how to turn on?)
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7533 (beta 1498 Check Spelling as you type)
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
Manizhe

Post by Manizhe »

I'm not certain that using 'votes' to choose a feature is a smart idea. People will not use it if they download and try it and discover it lacks a feature that is critical to them. They won't test it if they know it lacks a feature ahead of time. Only those who use it, read the forums, are aware that voting exists, and determine something is important enough to request or vote up cast votes.

Cinta is something I bought a long time ago. I assumed that any modern text-editing software, such as Notepad++, included spell checking, at least as a plugin. It appeals to me, and I keep intending to utilise it as my main "everything bucket." Spell check isn't really necessary for fast notes.

For anyone wanting a spell-check , I'd suggest AI Spell in the meantime:
http://grammarchecker.net/
JG

Post by JG »

As of version 6 of theWord there is an integrated spell check. You get the dictionaries via the Add Titles.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
smiths89

Post by smiths89 »

There are a lot of systems that we can keep thinking about this and I feel like you’re having a good time with the spell check that we are getting. I hope that it’s good. :)