Bug or virus?

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
mikeatnip

Bug or virus?

Post by mikeatnip »

So, I am switching computers, but have been using TheWord on a thumb drive so that I can have all my notes in one place when I use various machines. I upgraded to a dual monitor on a MS Surface Book 2 and had great delight to open about 6 book views on the monitors that would all sync when I clicked a Strong's number ... various dictionaries open all at once. Great. I saved that as a layout.
I opened it the next time (it opened to a previous layout) and clicked to the newest layout. From there things went south ...
It locked the computer. I could not even use the task manager to kill the offending program (task manager would not even open; a first for me). I then forced a shutdown with the power button.
On rebooting, TheWord would not open, with a message "this file is corrupted." I checked the files on the thumb drive and a number of books and bibles had 0 bytes. I deleted those files and still would not open.
Okay ... so I had made a backup about 2 months ago on another drive. I tried replacing the bad files. Didn't work. Then came my great blunder: I accidentally deleted the backup files as well as the corrupted files. :roll: :shock: :|
So ... I am starting from fresh, like it or not (I don't like it!). The biggest loss is my personal notes, although I can live without them. It will take several hours of downloads and trying to set the program back to what I had.

My question: Do I assume that a virus hit me somehow? Or is making six book views a no-no that will crash the program and cause file corruption?
I assume a virus. But before I go making another layout with multiple book views, I would like to know if that is acceptable to the software?
Thanks.
mikeatnip

Re: Bug or virus?

Post by mikeatnip »

I should add that there were a couple of files in the books and bibles with weird names that would not even delete. Created dates were 1980 and 2028. :shock:
But I reformatted the thumb drive (it is the original one from TheWord), which took care of the strange files, and am installing everything new.
JG

Post by JG »

It could be possible to get your files back. I have recently used a program called ShadowCopyView. It allows you to see the shadow copy of files and restore them possibly.
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shadow_copy_view.html
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
mikeatnip

Post by mikeatnip »

Thanks for the tip! I had not thought of data recovery. ShadowCopyView did not work for me (probably me not knowing how to use it-nothing shows up in the window when I execute it and the instructions are pretty scarce). I used other software to scan the thumb drive that had the back up and got some of the files back. However, others are not recovering well. I am trying a deep scan using Stellar Data Recovery. All in all the only thing I am missing now are my personal notes ... the only thing that I cannot even get somewhere else.