trying to access a position in a TW module from 2nd app

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
kenfhill84083

trying to access a position in a TW module from 2nd app

Post by kenfhill84083 »

In theWord, I would like to be able to create a marker of some kind, like a bookmark, that can be used in another app (eg, Keynote NF, Freeplane (mindmap)) to return me to the place I marked in TW.

For example, in Freeplane, I can create a URI to a mindmap node -- then I can create, in a TW user-created module, a link back to the Freeplane node. When I click on the link while in TW, I am returned to Freeplane at that node.

I'd like to be able to click on a link in Freeplane that takes me to TW at a previously-marked TW location. Is there a way to do what I want, already built into TW?

I use Freeplane and Keynote NF for most of my Bible study notes, so this would be very useful.

If it is not already built into TW, I may log in a request in the suggestions section of the forum.

Thanks.
csterg
Site Admin

Re: trying to access a position in a TW module from 2nd app

Post by csterg »

Hm, no there is nothing like that.
This would probably require some kind of inter-communication. Or something like a command-line argument for theWord. I assume you imagine something like a URL, e.g. tw://bible.kjv?id=Gen:2:3 that takes you there... This would not be easy to do for outside theWord
Costas
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

csterg wrote:Hm, no there is nothing like that.
This would probably require some kind of inter-communication. Or something like a command-line argument for theWord. I assume you imagine something like a URL, e.g. tw://bible.kjv?id=Gen:2:3 that takes you there... This would not be easy to do for outside theWord
Costas
Sorry to hear that -- the URL scheme is what I imagined, based on my other software that allows linking from outside.

Thanks anyway for responding. Nothing is perfect. theWord is awesome already - I was just hoping it could be made a bit more awesome.
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

Costas
I guess this is still the case 2-1/2 years later? Any possibility of re-examining?

I now have several programs that allow linking to specific points in another program. I can freely and easily link between Freeplane (mindmapper), RightNote (outliner/organizer), and Logos (Bible study). It is very useful and efficient. TheWord is now my only beloved program that does not have this functionality. :cry:
therapon

Post by therapon »

kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

therapon wrote:Hasn't Jonathan Koehn done something like that with Accuracy?
http://koehnsoftware.blogspot.com/2014/ ... oaded.html
and
http://koehnsoftware.blogspot.com/2014/ ... oaded.html
Thanks for the links but I can't tell what this program does and some of its download links are broken here.

I just want to be in RightNote or Freeplane and be able to plug in a link to theWord @ a specific verse -- and then go to theWord with that verse open.

If I could go to Accuracy from RN or FP and then from Accuracy to theWord, I guess that would work but it would be a bit klutzy.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Accuracy can pull up a link in theWORD but it is done internally not via a link externally. Yes sorry about some links being broken. I'm using more of my programming time to develop modules for theWORD.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

jonathangkoehn wrote:I'm using more of my programming time to develop modules for theWORD.
That's a great use of your programming time. Thanks for the reply. And thanks for your theWord ministry.
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

Costas
I created a script for autoHotKey.
  • It uses whatever is in the clipboard,
  • brings theWord into focus,
  • accesses the verse reference input box,
  • pastes from the clipboard,
  • presses Enter.
So far it seems to work. I'm new to AHK so I'm sure there must be a more elegant solution.

Here is the script if anyone is interested:

Code: Select all

; ctrl+alt+win .  opens theword , maximized
^!#b::
IF WinExist("theWord") ; if TW is open
	WinActivate 
	WinMaximize 
; f4 -  verse reference input box
	send {F4}
;  paste into verse reference input box
	send ^v
;  press Enter -  to navigate to verse
	send {Enter}
return
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

csterg wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:03 am Hm, no there is nothing like that.
Costas
6 years later... I guess there have been no new solutions for this kind of functionality that have appeared in the programming world to make this more feasible now?

This is still my #1 wishlist dream for theWord. I still constantly use this functionality to access information in Logos, RightNote, and Freeplane.

Using TW's clipboard manager helps with scripture refs but it would be nice to be able to access other TW resources too.

I don't mean to pester or distract from your priorities, but I may check back on this request in 3-4 years.
evelinchamplin

Post by evelinchamplin »

Try using the URL scheme. It worked for me. I'm just not sure if we're having the same problem because this is my first time hearing something that's the same as your problem.
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

evelinchamplin wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:42 am Try using the URL scheme. It worked for me. I'm just not sure if we're having the same problem because this is my first time hearing something that's the same as your problem.
Thanks.

The only URL I've ever noticed is in the "insert/edit hyperlink" dialog (see below). I just tried it with no success.

I created a hyperlink to a Bible reference then opened the hyperlink dialog to copy the "target" URL (near the bottom of the dialog (see image).

I copied that URL to my favorite notes editor, RightNote, and tried it from there. I got the error message shown in the attached screenshot.

Is there a different URL somewhere else?
Attachments
external link url , error message.png
external link url , error message.png (52.95 KiB) Viewed 1360 times
evelinchamplin

Post by evelinchamplin »

hmm have you tried using a different browser?
kenfhill84083

Post by kenfhill84083 »

evelinchamplin wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:23 am hmm have you tried using a different browser?
I am not sure what you mean. I don't want the link to open in a browser. I want it to open in theWord. I think the error I get, looking for an app, is Windows trying to make sense of the TW link.

When I click on a link to Logos - logosres:9780310337850;art=r13;off=10 - it opens directly in Logos. I am hoping, some day, to experience the same kind of functionality in TW.