M-Strong module + Wine 8.2 = Rebellion of the Fonts (but only in some pages)?

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
JG

Re: M-Strong module + Wine 8.2 = Rebellion of the Fonts (but only in some pages)?

Post by JG »

Can you please zip your module and give me a download link.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
mathetes

Re: M-Strong module + Wine 8.2 = Rebellion of the Fonts (but only in some pages)?

Post by mathetes »

Does this mean that it might soon be possible for theWord to be a native Linux application?: https://www.trichview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11382
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

Does this mean that it might soon be possible for theWord to be a native Linux application?: https://www.trichview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11382
I would imagine it would be pretty difficult to port something this big and powerful to Linux, even with a Linux version of some of the underlying code. So I wouldn't get too excited just yet. Also, from experience, maintaining an app for Linux could be a lot of work. Even if it was technically possible for theWord to be ported to being a native Linux app, I wouldn't be surprised or upset if it remained a Windows-only app just for the sake of easier maintenance. Besides, it works quite well under Wine, so I'm happy with it in its current state.

In the event that theWord's developers did end up porting theWord to being a native Linux application, though, I would be happy to lend a hand in packaging theWord for use with Debian-based Linux distros, as I have a decent amount of experience doing Debian and Ubuntu packaging.
I'm just an unworthy servant of Christ trying to do my job. But I love my job. :D

theWord 6 on Wine Staging and Windows 11
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

TotheWord version 1.9.8a no longer seems to have the font issue, at least with the characters I tried. Somewhere between version 1.9.2g and the latest version something with the font rendering in the editor seems to have changed. Maybe someone else can verify.

Edit: I created a virtual machine so I would have a clean install. When the data for the M-Strong's module is pasted into TotheWord 1.9.8a it does display properly, but it just displays boxes in 1.9.2g.
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

Oh really? That's interesting. I tried pasting text from the M-Strong module into Wine Wordpad, and it showed up as boxes even there. I'll take a look at the TotheWord changelog and see what might have happened.

Edit: There are some Uniscribe and Windows text engine fixes in there that look hopeful.
I'm just an unworthy servant of Christ trying to do my job. But I love my job. :D

jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Is there a way to force Linux to use Uniscribe in theWord? I know it defaults to the other text engine but checking.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

I don't think that's something the user can change. I can see instructions for changing fallback font related things in Wine's Uniscribe engine, but not much else.

therapon

Post by therapon »

from the changelog for 1502:
- added support for option 'no.uniscribe=1' in '[general]' section in config.ini to turn-off uniscribe rendering engine in windows (it is turned off by default on linux/wine).
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

Setting no.uniscribe=0 in Linux does nothing. Similarly, setting no.uniscribe=1 in Windows doesn't appear to cause the bug to surface there.

therapon

Post by therapon »

If you really need Uniscribe support, Crossover Linux might provide better support than standard WINE. They do have a free trial version so you could check it out. I'm not sure if it is possible to override the default behavior for TW though. iirc, there's a routine in TW that detects the presence of linux and turns Uniscribe support off.
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

Meh, I literally don't have the ability to buy things online, so anything that eventually requires payment is a no-go for me. Besides, this is a very minor problem IMO (it has an easy workaround, it doesn't affect any critical pages that I know of, the worst it does is make things a bit ugly if you click the wrong page). I'm more than happy to stick with the fully FOSS version of Wine for the time being.

mathetes

Post by mathetes »

The problem is that it's not just one module that's affected. But the easy fix for the M-Strong's module would be for the person who created it to update it to just use the officially approved font for those pages.