Is There an Android Version

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
mikejody

Is There an Android Version

Post by mikejody »

Greetings,

Is there an Android (tablet) version of theWord?

Oh, and one other question: can anyone tell me the major differences between theWord and E-sword? They look very similar at first glance.

Thank you.
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Is There an Android Version

Post by csterg »

Hello,
there is no Android version. There are at least 2 other Android programs to fill the void though, try out mysword and mybible.

eSword is a much simpler program compared to theWord
Costas
mikejody

Post by mikejody »

csterg wrote:Hello,
there is no Android version. There are at least 2 other Android programs to fill the void though, try out mysword and mybible.

eSword is a much simpler program compared to theWord
Costas
Thank you Costas, I appreciate your response.

When you say eSword is "much simpler" do you mean easier to navigate, easier to use, simpler. Or do you mean not as many features, not as many products simpler.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Not as many features, nor as powerful. You can arrange anything and everything in TW to your likening, do incredible original language research, arrange your library of modules in groups for faster/better searching, create your own books, commentaries and dictionaries - the list just goes on with things e-Sword just cannot do. I switched from e-Sword and PC Study Bible around 5 years ago and have never gone back. I stay current with both just to see what they are doing, but TW is just better and Costas (the developer) is such a joy to work with.

Darrel
mikejody

Post by mikejody »

That's excellent Darrel, thank you for letting me know.

Does anyone know if there is a way to import Scripture to MS Word easily? I know I could just copy and paste but some programs have macros or other easier ways to import passages.

Thank you.

Mike
DarrelW wrote:Not as many features, nor as powerful. You can arrange anything and everything in TW to your likening, do incredible original language research, arrange your library of modules in groups for faster/better searching, create your own books, commentaries and dictionaries - the list just goes on with things e-Sword just cannot do. I switched from e-Sword and PC Study Bible around 5 years ago and have never gone back. I stay current with both just to see what they are doing, but TW is just better and Costas (the developer) is such a joy to work with.

Darrel
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

TW has a tool called twImport that does an awesome job!
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

mikejody wrote:That's excellent Darrel, thank you for letting me know.

Does anyone know if there is a way to import Scripture to MS Word easily? I know I could just copy and paste but some programs have macros or other easier ways to import passages.

Thank you.

Mike
Sure, just use the Clipboard Monitor, I think it's enabled by default under Preferences (File>Preferences>Clipboard Monitoring). With theWord running in the background, just highlight any text you have with references, and click Copy, then the verses will appear with various options such as to copy.

One difference between the clipboard monitor and e-Sword macros is that the clipboard monitor can be used any where, not just MS Word; web pages, other office suites, etc.
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
mikejody

Post by mikejody »

Jeff, this is excellent, thank you!

I'm having difficulty pasting the passage into Word. I type Romans 8:28, highlight it and hit "Ctrl C" to copy it and that brings up theWord clipboard, but there is no option to then paste that verse into Word. Any help on this?
Jeff wrote:
mikejody wrote:That's excellent Darrel, thank you for letting me know.

Thank you.

Mike
Sure, just use the Clipboard Monitor, I think it's enabled by default under Preferences (File>Preferences>Clipboard Monitoring). With theWord running in the background, just highlight any text you have with references, and click Copy, then the verses will appear with various options such as to copy.

One difference between the clipboard monitor and e-Sword macros is that the clipboard monitor can be used any where, not just MS Word; web pages, other office suites, etc.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

mikejody wrote:Jeff, this is excellent, thank you!

I'm having difficulty pasting the passage into Word. I type Romans 8:28, highlight it and hit "Ctrl C" to copy it and that brings up theWord clipboard, but there is no option to then paste that verse into Word. Any help on this?
By each reference on the clipboard you have the option to [copy], click on it and then paste into Word the same way you would paste anything into Word (right-click "paste", ctrl+v, etc). I don't know if there is a way to do it in one step.

The manual explains another way:
http://www.theword.net/manual/clipboard_monitor.htm
You can use the keyboard shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+V as a global hot key to force the Clipboard monitor to paste back to the clipboard the text of the verse it has recognized. This function is very useful because it allows you to insert verse text from theWord to any other application without switching to theWord (the Register CTRL+SHIFT+V global hot key to paste back to clipboard verse text option in the Preferences must be checked).

To better understand how this works do the following:

1. Make sure theWord is running (you can minimize it to the task bar)
2. Open an editor (e.g. MS Word, Open office, Notepad, etc) and write a verse reference (e.g. John 3:16).
3. Select the verse reference in the editor and copy it to the clipboard (e.g. using CTRL+C from within the program you use). The Clipboard monitor window will appear.
4. Without switching to theWord, press CTRL+SHIFT+V on your keyboard: you will see that the actual text of the verse will be inserted in your editor.
You may have to play with it a little, it seems I had to hit CTRL+V to paste into editor after hitting CTRL+SHIFT+V to paste verse clipboard in the last step.
Attachments
ClipboardMon.jpg
ClipboardMon.jpg (56.34 KiB) Viewed 5002 times
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Let me say that the clipboard monitor is a tool to show you the verse references. To copy plain content, just copy paste the content into theWord.
Costas
richardferrym

Post by richardferrym »

Hello,
there is no Android version google account manager. There are at least 2 other Android programs to fill the void though, try out mysword and mybible.
still there is no Android version in 2023?
Last edited by richardferrym on Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

True. theWord has, to the best of my knowledge, only ever officially supported Windows, and there are no plans to officially support any other OS. It runs pretty well using the Wine Windows Compatibility Layer under Linux (and probably under Mac as well). No mobile devices are supported, and methods of emulating Windows on a mobile device are likely to be painfully complicated or quite limited in capabilities.

If you wanted a cheap, somewhat mobile system to run theWord on, I'd personally recommend getting a cheap used laptop that was in good condition, installing Linux on it, installing Wine in that, and then installing theWord.
I'm just an unworthy servant of Christ trying to do my job. But I love my job. :D

theWord 6 on Wine Staging and Windows 11
richardferrym

Post by richardferrym »

arraybolt3 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:19 am
True. theWord has, to the best of my knowledge, only ever officially supported Windows, and there are no plans to officially support any other OS. It runs pretty well using the Wine Windows Compatibility Layer under Linux (and probably under Mac as well). No mobile devices are supported, and methods of emulating Windows on a mobile device are likely to be painfully complicated or quite limited in capabilities.

If you wanted a cheap, somewhat mobile system to run theWord on, I'd personally recommend getting a cheap used laptop that was in good condition, installing Linux on it, installing Wine in that, and then installing theWord.
well thanks for you recommendation