[www.theword.net]

Twitter live feed  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:07 am



Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Window behavior under WINE 
Author Message

Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:39 pm
Posts: 296
Post Window behavior under WINE
Hi,

Been running TW3 on Ubuntu 8.04/8.1 under WINE for a little while. Everything works reasonably well, not painfully slow, features are all present, etc. One anomaly though. If I minimize TW by clicking the button on the panel, it maximizes/restores properly. If I use the minimize button on the TW titlebar, it won't restore properly; I just get a titlebar and frame for TW across the middle of the display and nothing else. The only way to restore is to exit TW and restart it.

Any ideas why this might be happening? TW is the only Windows app I use that behaves this way under WINE.

Therapon


Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:49 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:08 pm
Posts: 327
Post 
I forget what build it was that the issue started to happen. My solution is to tell it to minimize to the tray. The option is in preferences under the general tab. It seems to work fine when doing it that way.


Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:29 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:39 pm
Posts: 296
Post 
Thanks. That did it.


Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:28 am
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 8610
Location: Corfu, Greece
Post 
I have changed things concerning all this behavior in latest build.
Can you pls re-check with the new build? (when published). Change have to do with Vista but should have impact on this also,
Costas


Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:07 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:39 pm
Posts: 296
Post 
I know it's been a while but here is the latest. Build 817 doesn't minimize or restore at all <b>unless</b> minimize to tray is selected. Also, minimize & maximize options in the panel button menu are grayed out. It's not a problem for me, I can work around it fine.

Has anyone been able to get popup windows working correctly? Once I use the shift key to get the mouse over the popup, subsequent popups misbehave until a program restart. Especially small ones like a single verse xref flash onscreen and then disappear unless I get the mouse in just the right place. It's really annoying!!

Thanks
Therapon


Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:05 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:23 am
Posts: 258
Post 
I am having the same results. It is erratic. Some work ok, some don't. This is especially true with the footnotes in the KJV. Some show a blank popup, some display correctly. Using build 817


Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:19 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:34 pm
Posts: 4212
Post 
royhieatt wrote:
I am having the same results. It is erratic. Some work ok, some don't. This is especially true with the footnotes in the KJV. Some show a blank popup, some display correctly. Using build 817


I believe 818 fixes a footnote issue.
Jon


Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:36 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:23 am
Posts: 258
Post 
Thanks Jon,

Will download 818.


Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:45 pm
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 8610
Location: Corfu, Greece
Post 
therapon wrote:
I know it's been a while but here is the latest. Build 817 doesn't minimize or restore at all <b>unless</b> minimize to tray is selected. Also, minimize & maximize options in the panel button menu are grayed out. It's not a problem for me, I can work around it fine.

I suppose you are referring to ubuntu. But it is interesting. What was the previous build that used to work?

Quote:
Has anyone been able to get popup windows working correctly? Once I use the shift key to get the mouse over the popup, subsequent popups misbehave until a program restart. Especially small ones like a single verse xref flash onscreen and then disappear unless I get the mouse in just the right place. It's really annoying!!

Do you get error reports?


Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:13 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 8610
Location: Corfu, Greece
Post 
One more thing: 817 broke the popups for footnotes. 818 is ok.


Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:13 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:39 pm
Posts: 296
Post 
re: minimizing, I'm not sure when the minimize/maximize buttons quit working. As for the window behavior when not minimizing to tray, I've not ever had it work correctly. It either minimized and then came back as the title bar across the middle of the screen or the way it behaves now where it doesn't minimize but just jumps around the screen. I can't tell when it changed because the minimize to tray works properly. It could have been an update of Wine that changed it's behavior, I can't be sure.

I am using Ubuntu 8.10, Wine 1.1.19

re: popups, no there aren't any error messages. The popup appears and disappears immediately. It's not always predictable although it seems larger popups, especially ones with scroll bars like extended commentary entries, are less apt to do it. One thing that is consistent: the popup windows have a white background until you Shift and mouse over, then it changes to a blue gradient. Once you do that, popup windows have the blue background whether or not you Shift and mouse over. Don't know if that's significant or not.

Therapon


Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:10 am
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 8610
Location: Corfu, Greece
Post 
therapon wrote:
re: minimizing, I'm not sure when the minimize/maximize buttons quit working. As for the window behavior when not minimizing to tray, I've not ever had it work correctly. It either minimized and then came back as the title bar across the middle of the screen or the way it behaves now where it doesn't minimize but just jumps around the screen. I can't tell when it changed because the minimize to tray works properly. It could have been an update of Wine that changed it's behavior, I can't be sure.

I am using Ubuntu 8.10, Wine 1.1.19

Here is what you can do that may fix these issues: from view->skins uncheck the 'use skinned window border'.

Quote:
re: popups, no there aren't any error messages. The popup appears and disappears immediately. It's not always predictable although it seems larger popups, especially ones with scroll bars like extended commentary entries, are less apt to do it. One thing that is consistent: the popup windows have a white background until you Shift and mouse over, then it changes to a blue gradient. Once you do that, popup windows have the blue background whether or not you Shift and mouse over. Don't know if that's significant or not.

Therapon

I do get some of these errors. I have no idea what happens, most error seem to say that there was an OS error, something i cannot fix. Concerning the behavior with SHIFT, it's correct, but obviously something goes wrong and stays blue. To fix that i would need to run and debug the whole program under wine, something not for now (i already have many other OSs installed to test things here and there)
Costas


Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:17 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:08 pm
Posts: 327
Post 
I normally keep my popups turned off but just turned them to check this problem out and so far everything seems to work correctly for me. I have my system upgraded to kubuntu 9.04 beta and am using kde for my desktop along with the latest version of wine. It could be something with the way windows are being managed. Try running winecfg and changing the graphics options for "allow window manager to control windows" and/or "emulate a virtual desktop" and see if that makes any difference.


Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:29 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:39 pm
Posts: 296
Post 
Quote:
Here is what you can do that may fix these issues: from view->skins uncheck the 'use skinned window border'.


That fixed it.

Quote:
I do get some of these errors. I have no idea what happens, most error seem to say that there was an OS error, something i cannot fix. Concerning the behavior with SHIFT, it's correct, but obviously something goes wrong and stays blue. To fix that i would need to run and debug the whole program under wine, something not for now (i already have many other OSs installed to test things here and there)
Costas


I understand. Thanks for all your work.

Therapon


Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:22 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:39 pm
Posts: 296
Post 
Some additional information that might be helpful. If I set up Wine to emulate a virtual desktop with TW, popups work correctly except for the bottom of the popup window. It doesn't seem to know where the bottom of the virtual desktop is so it runs off the bottom of the screen. That seems to be a problem with Wine, though, and not TW. But as for the other behavior of popups, they work correctly even after SHIFT mouse-over in a virtual desktop. The other Graphics settings in Wine don't seem to make any difference in behavior for TW.

Therapon


Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:14 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.
[ Time : 1.398s | 14 Queries | GZIP : Off ]