Window behavior under WINE

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
therapon

Window behavior under WINE

Post by therapon »

Hi,

Been running TW3 on Ubuntu 8.04/8.1 under WINE for a little while. Everything works reasonably well, not painfully slow, features are all present, etc. One anomaly though. If I minimize TW by clicking the button on the panel, it maximizes/restores properly. If I use the minimize button on the TW titlebar, it won't restore properly; I just get a titlebar and frame for TW across the middle of the display and nothing else. The only way to restore is to exit TW and restart it.

Any ideas why this might be happening? TW is the only Windows app I use that behaves this way under WINE.

Therapon
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

I forget what build it was that the issue started to happen. My solution is to tell it to minimize to the tray. The option is in preferences under the general tab. It seems to work fine when doing it that way.
therapon

Post by therapon »

Thanks. That did it.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I have changed things concerning all this behavior in latest build.
Can you pls re-check with the new build? (when published). Change have to do with Vista but should have impact on this also,
Costas
therapon

Post by therapon »

I know it's been a while but here is the latest. Build 817 doesn't minimize or restore at all <b>unless</b> minimize to tray is selected. Also, minimize & maximize options in the panel button menu are grayed out. It's not a problem for me, I can work around it fine.

Has anyone been able to get popup windows working correctly? Once I use the shift key to get the mouse over the popup, subsequent popups misbehave until a program restart. Especially small ones like a single verse xref flash onscreen and then disappear unless I get the mouse in just the right place. It's really annoying!!

Thanks
Therapon
royhieatt

Post by royhieatt »

I am having the same results. It is erratic. Some work ok, some don't. This is especially true with the footnotes in the KJV. Some show a blank popup, some display correctly. Using build 817
JG

Post by JG »

royhieatt wrote:I am having the same results. It is erratic. Some work ok, some don't. This is especially true with the footnotes in the KJV. Some show a blank popup, some display correctly. Using build 817
I believe 818 fixes a footnote issue.
Jon
royhieatt

Post by royhieatt »

Thanks Jon,

Will download 818.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

therapon wrote:I know it's been a while but here is the latest. Build 817 doesn't minimize or restore at all <b>unless</b> minimize to tray is selected. Also, minimize & maximize options in the panel button menu are grayed out. It's not a problem for me, I can work around it fine.
I suppose you are referring to ubuntu. But it is interesting. What was the previous build that used to work?
Has anyone been able to get popup windows working correctly? Once I use the shift key to get the mouse over the popup, subsequent popups misbehave until a program restart. Especially small ones like a single verse xref flash onscreen and then disappear unless I get the mouse in just the right place. It's really annoying!!
Do you get error reports?
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

One more thing: 817 broke the popups for footnotes. 818 is ok.
therapon

Post by therapon »

re: minimizing, I'm not sure when the minimize/maximize buttons quit working. As for the window behavior when not minimizing to tray, I've not ever had it work correctly. It either minimized and then came back as the title bar across the middle of the screen or the way it behaves now where it doesn't minimize but just jumps around the screen. I can't tell when it changed because the minimize to tray works properly. It could have been an update of Wine that changed it's behavior, I can't be sure.

I am using Ubuntu 8.10, Wine 1.1.19

re: popups, no there aren't any error messages. The popup appears and disappears immediately. It's not always predictable although it seems larger popups, especially ones with scroll bars like extended commentary entries, are less apt to do it. One thing that is consistent: the popup windows have a white background until you Shift and mouse over, then it changes to a blue gradient. Once you do that, popup windows have the blue background whether or not you Shift and mouse over. Don't know if that's significant or not.

Therapon
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

therapon wrote:re: minimizing, I'm not sure when the minimize/maximize buttons quit working. As for the window behavior when not minimizing to tray, I've not ever had it work correctly. It either minimized and then came back as the title bar across the middle of the screen or the way it behaves now where it doesn't minimize but just jumps around the screen. I can't tell when it changed because the minimize to tray works properly. It could have been an update of Wine that changed it's behavior, I can't be sure.

I am using Ubuntu 8.10, Wine 1.1.19
Here is what you can do that may fix these issues: from view->skins uncheck the 'use skinned window border'.
re: popups, no there aren't any error messages. The popup appears and disappears immediately. It's not always predictable although it seems larger popups, especially ones with scroll bars like extended commentary entries, are less apt to do it. One thing that is consistent: the popup windows have a white background until you Shift and mouse over, then it changes to a blue gradient. Once you do that, popup windows have the blue background whether or not you Shift and mouse over. Don't know if that's significant or not.

Therapon
I do get some of these errors. I have no idea what happens, most error seem to say that there was an OS error, something i cannot fix. Concerning the behavior with SHIFT, it's correct, but obviously something goes wrong and stays blue. To fix that i would need to run and debug the whole program under wine, something not for now (i already have many other OSs installed to test things here and there)
Costas
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

I normally keep my popups turned off but just turned them to check this problem out and so far everything seems to work correctly for me. I have my system upgraded to kubuntu 9.04 beta and am using kde for my desktop along with the latest version of wine. It could be something with the way windows are being managed. Try running winecfg and changing the graphics options for "allow window manager to control windows" and/or "emulate a virtual desktop" and see if that makes any difference.
therapon

Post by therapon »

Here is what you can do that may fix these issues: from view->skins uncheck the 'use skinned window border'.
That fixed it.
I do get some of these errors. I have no idea what happens, most error seem to say that there was an OS error, something i cannot fix. Concerning the behavior with SHIFT, it's correct, but obviously something goes wrong and stays blue. To fix that i would need to run and debug the whole program under wine, something not for now (i already have many other OSs installed to test things here and there)
Costas
I understand. Thanks for all your work.

Therapon
therapon

Post by therapon »

Some additional information that might be helpful. If I set up Wine to emulate a virtual desktop with TW, popups work correctly except for the bottom of the popup window. It doesn't seem to know where the bottom of the virtual desktop is so it runs off the bottom of the screen. That seems to be a problem with Wine, though, and not TW. But as for the other behavior of popups, they work correctly even after SHIFT mouse-over in a virtual desktop. The other Graphics settings in Wine don't seem to make any difference in behavior for TW.

Therapon