How to translate 'The Word' in your language?

For translators. Undertake the job to translate to your language, report translation errors here. Co-ordinate with other working on a translation of the program.
csterg
Site Admin

How to translate 'The Word' in your language?

Post by csterg »

TW is translatable (theoretically) in every language (even in Unicode-only langs). There is no support for right-to-left alignment so if you translate in such a language (e.g. Arabic or Hebrew), not everything will be mirrored, but this is something usually 'acceptable'.

Instructions
1. Thank you for your interest, this is a great service you can offer!
2. Check that the language you want to translate to does not already exist!. Below is a list of languages currently being translated, progress status, etc. If you want to get in an unfinished (or half finished) translation, pls do so. If you want to help a translator (e.g. share work), please express your interest here.
3. Download and read the instructions here. Make sure you can undertake this project yourself. If you are not sure, ask for help on this forum or search for answers to your questions.
4. Before starting, post a new thread here to inform everyone that you are starting the translation so that no duplicate work is being done.
5. Install the latest version of TW by downloading from the main site. In the installation folder you will find the english.lng file.

You should use the english.lng file as a template. Please, open it and verify that near the top you see the line version=3.0.0.xxx-x (the version here may not match exactly with the version of the program, but it will certainly be close enough).

Language -> translator
Greek -> Manolis M.
German -> Hartmut P.
Dutch -> Halbe J.
Portuguese -> Ericson S.
Spanish INT -> Julio B.
Spanish ES -> Ruben G.
Arabic -> John
Bulgarian -> Ognyan I.
Chinese -> William H.
Slovak -> Peter M.
Italian -> Roberto L.
Polish -> Darek D.
Albanian -> Ilirian G.
French -> Philippe C.
Finnish -> Teijo
Catalan -> Carles M.
Hungarian -> Laszlo B.
Thai -> Choat
Sinhalese (Sri Lankan) -> Jude. P
Koulango -> Lonnie P.
Korean -> Jin Shin

Version 2 translations with no support at this moment to be upgraded to ver. 3
Latvian
Romanian
Tamil

Costas
Last edited by csterg on Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ericson

Brazilian Portuguese translation for TW3

Post by Ericson »

Costas, where shall I post the (new) thread for the Brazilian Portuguese translation for TW3?
Ericson L. Silva. Brazil
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Brazilian Portuguese translation for TW3

Post by csterg »

Ericson wrote:Costas, where shall I post the (new) thread for the Brazilian Portuguese translation for TW3?
Just added a sticky thread for portuguese
evstevemd

Re: How to translate 'The Word' in your language?

Post by evstevemd »

I'm considering to do labour of love for my Kiswahili speaking people.
I will update once I have time. For now I have something at hand to do
Thanks TW team. I'll join you soon!
If anyone want to join me in that I will be glad to hear!

Let's pray for healthy that we will accomplish King's desire
Amen!
Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world
phcalle

Post by phcalle »

Hello,
I upgraded to the last version of the Word 3.1.0.995 and I saw afterwards that the 'frechn.lng' I was working on no longer matched the new 'english.lng' . So I had to restart the work (I had only 5% done, hopefully it was not wery long)
Does this means we have to do the translation again for every new version ? Or is there a better way ?

Regards
Philippe
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

phcalle wrote:Hello,
I upgraded to the last version of the Word 3.1.0.995 and I saw afterwards that the 'frechn.lng' I was working on no longer matched the new 'english.lng' . So I had to restart the work (I had only 5% done, hopefully it was not wery long)
Does this means we have to do the translation again for every new version ? Or is there a better way ?

Regards
Philippe
Hello Philippe,
of course not. You only need to add a few new entires (very few). What do you mean 'no longer matched'?
HartmutP

Post by HartmutP »

Hi Costas,

can you please set some flag/information/email distribution/message within here, as soon as a new build changes/adds a line in the english.lng? Think this would help to stay inline.

thanks, hartmut
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I have thought of that too.
Do you refer to just sending a message that something was added?
Or do you mean to also refer to messages that have been updated?
Costas
Gert-Jan

Post by Gert-Jan »

phcalle wrote:I upgraded to the last version of the Word 3.1.0.995 and I saw afterwards that the 'french.lng' I was working on no longer matched the new 'english.lng
I noticed the same for some entries in the Dutch language file: In Bible view options, the list with categories now remains English.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Yes, this is an exception: this list there should be fixed, or else the english one is used. The reason is that the order changed, so you would get wrong entries....
msm5e

Post by msm5e »

HI Everyone !!

I would like to know if anyone did and finished the translation of the program to french !!

I was going to start it, but if anyone already dit it, I don't want to reinvent the wheel!!

Merci!!
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hello Merci,
unfortunately noone has done this yet. Please, PM me so i can give you the mail of the one that started it, but i have no idea if there is any progress,
Costas
muridnya

Re: How to translate 'The Word' in your language? INDONESIA

Post by muridnya »

Hi,
I thank Lord Jesus to find out TW and the people behind it!
I am interested in translating TW into bahasa Indonesia. I want to start the project as soon as possible. I have downloaded the manual and ready to start :D
At the moment, I am also editing the existing translation that I found to have significant errors both in quantity and quality.
Let us work for the glory of Lord Jesus!

Be blessed,
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

This is great to know, thank you!
Please, send me a PM or email with your full name and email so i can add you to the list of translators,
Costas
loyal

Any korean version work

Post by loyal »

Greetings,
I just cam across this work. I been working on a html-javascript bible for 15 years now. There was nothing free that supported asian languages then. I thought I might look at how to do Korean as my wife is korean and I work part time with a korean church. So I have the resources! Korean sometimes is difficult to get working because its like Thai Consonat clustered with vowel. Does the word support korean? If I can figure out how to take html into the format I have about 1 gig of texts in n Thai Korean and English.