Questions/Help area for Book Editor

Discussions related to the "ToTheWord" 3rd party tool that is used to generate modules for theWord
jonathangkoehn

Questions/Help area for Book Editor

Post by jonathangkoehn »

If you have any questions or need help with TotheWord please ask here and try to be as detailed as possible in your question. We are working on updating the help files in TotheWord. It may take time since we are actively working on new resources.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
jonathangkoehn

Re: Questions/Help area

Post by jonathangkoehn »

If you have questions for TotheWord please add them to this post. Then perhaps if time permits the help file will grow.

Please be specific and detailed in your questions. We are actively using TotheWord for premium and appreciation resources and constantly updating it.

There is a steep learning curve but there is a lot of power. It can even be used to make devotionals.

The Regex rules engine is useful for importing from any text format for books or Bibles. There is even the ability of running a Regex rule on a Regex rule.

Imagine searching for \([^)]*\) then wanting to only modify the () that has like (8889) so (\d+) this is possible and adding a G so G$1.

You can find out more in the Regex Editor, Book Editor or Bible Editor.
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

If someone has time a user would like Bible template.
To help that get started.
For Bible editor:
Each line is a different verse.
.ont: for files containing both OT and NT (31102 lines)
.nt: for files containing NT only (7957 lines)
.ot: for files containing OT only (23145 lines)

Map files are more complex see TotheWord > Help > Bible Editor Help for more information on these.

TotheWord will warn you if there is not enough lines. I recommend starting someplace and trying a Bible template would be helpful though.
Please send the template via support at thewordbooks.com
This file may be a good place to start: https://www.theword.net/files/utils/ot-nt-lines.zip
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

I was wondering if anyone has or has developed a help document to create Bible modules for personal use? I have no background in regex and being 68. well you know. I have read the help information that accompanies totheword but to no success. I have a couple of Bible that would be much more useful if they were in digital format. One of them is in English and a couple of others are in Greek. The all have footnotes that I would like to have incorporated into the modules. I know I am asking a lot, but you don't know until you ask. Thank you
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

I'm actually working on making my first Bible module, and so I may be able to help make something like that. Note that making a module could range from trivially easy to quite tricky, depending on what format your data is in. I'll see if I can make a more beginner-friendly tutorial once I've figured out the basics.
I'm just an unworthy servant of Christ trying to do my job. But I love my job. :D

theWord 6 on Wine Staging and Windows 11
JG

Post by JG »

UBC4ME wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:19 pm I was wondering if anyone has or has developed a help document to create Bible modules for personal use? I have no background in regex and being 68. well you know. I have read the help information that accompanies totheword but to no success. I have a couple of Bible that would be much more useful if they were in digital format. One of them is in English and a couple of others are in Greek. The all have footnotes that I would like to have incorporated into the modules. I know I am asking a lot, but you don't know until you ask. Thank you
What Bibles do you want in digital format?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

UBC4ME wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:19 pm I was wondering if anyone has or has developed a help document to create Bible modules for personal use? I have no background in regex and being 68. well you know. I have read the help information that accompanies totheword but to no success. I have a couple of Bible that would be much more useful if they were in digital format. One of them is in English and a couple of others are in Greek. The all have footnotes that I would like to have incorporated into the modules. I know I am asking a lot, but you don't know until you ask. Thank you
Bible text only modules are easy to create with just a simple text editor. They are merely a text file with one verse per line and saved with a .nt extension. Italicized words are put inside <FI><Fi> tags. Footnotes are put in <RF><Rf> tags. Paragraphs can be marked by placing a <CM> tag at the end.

LibreOffice with the "Alternative Find & Replace" extension can be used to create slightly more complex modules. With LibreOffice, you can search for words using different character styles and and replace them with the appropriate tags around them. More complex procedures can be learned as needed. The "Alternative Find & Replace" extension can also be used to take footnotes in the document and put them inside the <RF><Rf> tags.

If your needs are simple, the complexity of TotheWord isn't even needed for a Bible module.
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

JG, I have a readers Greek New Testament that has a lot of helps in it, it would be a nice help for those that little background in the Greek language. I also have Wuests Expanded Translation that has some really nice translation notes that would much more flexible in digital format. Again I want to stipulate that all of these works are for personal use.

Mathetes, thank you for the information concerning Libra Office. I am quite sufficient in Word. but I will check into Libra Office.

All the Bibles I have that I would like to put into digital format are hard copies, which means A LOT of typing. It is the understand how and where to place the helps/footnotes that I would like to understand more about and I sure there are other things that I will come across that I am not aware of.

arraybolt3, whatever you could be able to do that would assist would be greatly appreciated.
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

I'm having some difficulty understanding a couple things about how to use TotheWord and need some help. I'm using version D1.9.2i on Windows 7.

Under the Configuration tab there is an option to enable if the module contains "Strongs in Topic Tree." I see no documentation on how to add Strong's numbers to a topic tree through TotheWord while retaining the lemma also as a topic. The only information I see is that there is an index created in topics.subject column.

How exactly do _tw tags get used? My understanding of the documentation is that there is supposed to be a regex file that gets loaded at the same time as a .html file and that this regex file tells TotheWord what not to treat as an HTML tag. But I see no regex file that would contain standard definitions for _tw tags. Maybe I'm totally misunderstanding what needs to be done.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Under the Configuration tab there is an option to enable if the module contains "Strongs in Topic Tree." I see no documentation on how to add Strong's numbers to a topic tree through TotheWord while retaining the lemma also as a topic. The only information I see is that there is an index created in topics.subject column.
The best way to add Strongs is like other topics either via <:> <tlink> or <link>
How exactly do _tw tags get used? My understanding of the documentation is that there is supposed to be a regex file that gets loaded at the same time as a .html file and that this regex file tells TotheWord what not to treat as an HTML tag. But I see no regex file that would contain standard definitions for _tw tags. Maybe I'm totally misunderstanding what needs to be done.
Make sure to use these two items or they will be ignored
1st item: File > Open > Book Editor > 1. Load Regex Rules (If you don't need rules make sure it has at least one that does nothing like)
'I DO NOTHING'tab'I DO NOTHING'tab[]tab{}
2nd item: File > Open > Book Editor > Special Open (If not CSS) or New Special Open (if CSS)

Imagine that TotheWord is looking for html format in the end but the file can start as any text document and get converted to html via the Regex Rules. Also make sure the text you want imported is inside html tags like <p><:_tw>Topic</p> it can't be <:_tw><p>...</p> this will cause problems.
mathetes

hide topic

Post by mathetes »

I am trying to understand the function of the <hide_topic> tag. I am unable to see any difference in whether it is used or not. In the example 'popup note.rvf' file, there are the lines:

<:>Note about John<hide_topic>
Here is the note. (It is also hidden)

But if I build the module, the 'Note about John' is still listed in the topics list and can be selected and the note shown. The 'Show hidden topics' option in the module properties is disabled. What am I missing?

Windows 7
TotheWord version 1.9.3g
JG

Post by JG »

I know this is not much help, but the example works fine for me built as a book or dictionary.
I am using Windows 10. and totheWord build is D1.9.3f.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

JG wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:47 pm I know this is not much help, but the example works fine for me built as a book or dictionary.
I am using Windows 10. and totheWord build is D1.9.3f.
Are you saying that you don't see the 'Note about John' topic listed in the topics list?
JG

Post by JG »

Hidden hidden.jpg
Hidden hidden.jpg (111.69 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
Show hidden.jpg
Show hidden.jpg (149.74 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
JG

Post by JG »

Also I always build as RVF.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software