Any list of theWord modules not yet created but that are wanted?

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
arraybolt3

Any list of theWord modules not yet created but that are wanted?

Post by arraybolt3 »

I see there used to be a spreadsheet of modules that were actively being created, but I can't access it, and I don't know if it's even still in use.

Is there a list of materials that theWord has permission to make into modules, but that aren't yet available as modules? I've been working on Bible study resources for a while and would love to try and help make more modules for theWord, especially ones that will be freely downloadable in the future.

I am very tech-savvy and not afraid to have to use complex, esoteric, and even alpha-quality tools in order to make a module just right, so hopefully I can be helpful. I obviously can't promise that I will make modules, but I can sure give it a good try! Would also be neat if people could collaborate on stuff to make modules happen quicker. I am experienced using the book module creator built into theWord, and also know enough about markup languages to be able to possibly tackle making Bible modules. I also have a significant amount of coding experience if that would be helpful for automating parts of the module creation process.

Thanks for the awesome software! God bless.
I'm just an unworthy servant of Christ trying to do my job. But I love my job. :D

theWord 6 on Wine Staging and Windows 11
jonathangkoehn

Re: Any list of theWord modules not yet created but that are wanted?

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Greetings arraybolt3,

You may want to check out this area for a tool to make theWord modules: TotheWord
As to a list of resource being developed for theWord. There is not one. There are Coming Soon! resources at https://www.theWordBooks.com/
Some are Appreciation resources which can be $0 or more if the user likes. For example the Codex Sinaiticus was just released that way.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

Thanks, I'll look at that!

I guess then I can just find resources that are public domain that look useful and try to convert them.

I wonder, is there any way for helping with making modules that contain copyrighted material that theWord has permission to distribute? Like perhaps if I found a useful text, added it to the requested module list, and then theWord got permission to make it into a module, is the module creation process something that can be helped with? Or is that something that you guys prefer to do yourselves for legal/technical/etc. reasons?

Thanks again.
I'm just an unworthy servant of Christ trying to do my job. But I love my job. :D

jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

In regards to copyright material that is more complex.
Please see this post. Developing Copyright materials
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

Thanks for the info! Sadly, I have other projects that are too intensive to probably be able to survive through the QA process (I help develop Ubuntu with a lot of my spare time and would hate for problems to be encountered trying to put out fires over there and help develop stuff over here). Still, if I find the time and get the needed experience, I might revisit that if possible. (And I'd need the right tools - so far I don't own a Windows license for anything newer than Windows 8, and I'm not sure you want me using an EOL operating system or Wine as part of the development process.)

Anyway, a couple more questions:

- Is there any official process for getting a public domain module into the official repositories for theWord? Obviously it would have to be reviewed, but I'm guessing there's policies in that area to make sure everything goes according to plan.
- Are there any policies for copyrighted but permissively licensed works, i.e. stuff under CC BY-SA and the like (probably not CC BY-SA-NC, though)?

Thanks again!

jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Public domain, would need to go through quality control and this depends on our time.
See inside of TotheWord > Help > theWord Formatting Standards that is partially what quality control is based on. (Bibles are more complex)
As to Creative Commons that can be used as well similar to Public domain, just make sure to put the license information in the About area. Same quality control required.

By the way on Public Domain or Creative Commons done by users please try to present them in a state where the quality is very high. We don't have a lot of time to go back and forth on what needs corrected. If there are specific, detailed questions we may be able to help with those.

Do you have a resource in mind?
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

I do have a specific resource in mind, namely a KJV apocrypha module. The apocrypha built into the Church Fathers module is really difficult to use and littered with typographical (or more likely OCR) errors. I have a KJV apocrypha in Xiphos (a SWORD Project-based Bible study program for Linux), so I thought I may be able to port that to a theWord Book Module. (I checked both the official and unofficial module websites and didn't see a KJV apocrypha module - there were some unofficial apocrypha modules out there, but they didn't appear to be KJV based.)

I definitely understand that any official modules would have to be of very high quality - I generally put a lot of effort into ensuring the quality of things I make that I intend for others to use. Very glad to see that there are standards and guides available - the more instructions I have, the better the chances I have of doing something right :D

Thanks for taking time to help me know how this works. I think I probably have enough info or pointers to info to be able to do something helpful, and the bit I still don't know I can probably figure out (OS compatibility) so I guess I'll get a development environment set up and start fiddling with TotheWord.

arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

jonathangkoehn wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:08 am See inside of TotheWord > Help > theWord Formatting Standards that is partially what quality control is based on. (Bibles are more complex)
I may simply be blind, but I cannot find this in ToTheWord D1.8.1e. I checked the Help folder after unzipping the program, as well as the Help menu in the menubar, and neither have anything called theWord Formatting Standards. The closest I could find was a theWord Book Module Specification, which has a bunch of details about how the SQLite databases are structured internally, not about how to format the text. I also checked older versions of ToTheWord inside Google Drive's UI, looked through the forum section, and spent a bit of time exploring through the various folders and searching through the changelog.

Anyway, probably not that big of a deal - if I have to change the formatting later when I can find the documentation, I can do that. And I see what kind of modules make it into theWord's official repositories - those give me at least an idea of how to do things. And for now I need to learn how to use this (really cool-looking) tool, so I probably don't need to worry about getting everything perfect for now, and wait until I'm doing real module creation for that.

Thanks again.

jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Greetings Arraybolt3,
Please download the latest version which as of this post is 1.9.0c that should have this.
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

Fantastic, I just downloaded the new version and read through the formatting standards. Thanks again for all your help!

Jacob11

Post by Jacob11 »

Need this version, or its xml file.

https://github.com/Center-for-New-Testa ... oration/SR
The Center for New Testament Restoration (CNTR) is pleased to announce the official release of the Statistical Restoration (SR) which is the first computer-generated Greek New Testament. The creation of the SR text offers a paradigm shift in the field of textual criticism, replacing the subjective theological bias of human editors with the use of objective statistical and computational methods, rooted in data science and computer science. All the earliest manuscript evidence is fed directly to a computer program as raw data, which generates a Greek New Testament attempting to reflect the most probable text based on statistical analysis and algorithms designed to simulate a reasoned-eclecticism approach of textual criticism, weighing both internal and external evidence. The SR is only about 1% different from the Nestle-Aland text, but some of those are merely orthographical differences that don’t affect the meaning. The motivation, rationale, limitations, and implications for creating a text like this are described in the new book, “Restoration of the New Testament: The Case for Scientific Textual Criticism”.
Some information about the SR can be found in its Introduction and in this overview video. The more technical aspects of the SR that would interest scientists and developers will be released later in a paper that is planned to be submitted for publication. The SR is now available for download from GitHub in several different formats. The SR text is released under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC-BY 4.0) and the source code for the main program is released under the GNU General Public License 3.0 (GPLv3). Providing the SR under open licenses allows others to build on the work and contribute other improvements to serve the interests of the global Church.
After being in beta for about seven months, the SR now receives its own place in the CNTR collation. Many thanks to those who provided valuable feedback to the SR while it was in beta. The SR supersedes the Bunning Heuristic Prototype (BHP), which had a successful run and served as the basis for many Bible translations all over the world, but it has finished serving its initial purpose and thus is now dropped from the collation. The new entry in the CNTR collation called “Developmental Statistics” will represent the ongoing development work toward the second edition of the SR. If any Christian scholars or developers are interested in getting in on the ground floor of that and possibly taking over that effort, please contact the CNTR.
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

That looks pretty cool! I don't yet have experience with making Bible modules, but the licensing is permissive enough to be used and there appear to be very good source files to be used for building a module. I can't promise anything, but I'll look into it.

mathetes

Post by mathetes »

Jacob11 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:03 pm Need this version, or its xml file.
If the morphology information isn't needed, the .txt file can simply be renamed to .nt, and with very little editing and a couple quick regex replacements, it would be functional.
Last edited by mathetes on Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

If the author would be willing to provide the source documents, this would make a nice daily reading devotional for the intermediate Greek student: http://www.misselbrook.org.uk/LinksPage ... geName=GNT
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

Those look really interesting. I asked the author for permission to create a module from those notes and redistribute it. I'll let you guys know if I hear back from him.