Any list of theWord modules not yet created but that are wanted?

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
arraybolt3

Re: Any list of theWord modules not yet created but that are wanted?

Post by arraybolt3 »

Jacob11 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:03 pm Need this version, or its xml file.
I am in the process of attempting to make a Bible module of the SR critical text. The morphology codes are really boggling my brain so please be patient while I figure out how to convert the SR's morphology codes to theWord morphology codes. I'll post the translator script, generated module source code, and finished module on GItHub and link them here when they're done, assuming I'm able to do this.
I'm just an unworthy servant of Christ trying to do my job. But I love my job. :D

theWord 6 on Wine Staging and Windows 11
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

So... the SR uses its own morphology format. So I'll probably release a morphology module to go along side the SR text itself. There also appear to be Koine word forms included along with the "normal" text, so I'm debating whether to make that a separate SR-Koine module, or if I should embed it as switchable text (I'm leaning towards the switchable text option).
I'm just an unworthy servant of Christ trying to do my job. But I love my job. :D

arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

Got closer! I have source code of sorts for a Bible module at this point. The problem is it's too short, probably because the SR verse numbering differs from the KJV verse numbering (omitted verses?), or perhaps I have a bug(s) in my code. But we're getting there!

edit: Welp, it is partially my code's fault (it failed to grab the last verse of Revelation!), so this is going to take some debugging and a good deal of testing before publishing it.

jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

If there are verses that don't line up with KJV might want to check out the map in Help for Bible Editor
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

Actually the versification appears to align with the KJV after all. The problem is that the SR is a critical text, and as such it leaves out some verses that the creator's software has deemed to be probably not authentic. My code isn't equipped to detect that.

Thankfully, in addition to the tab-separated values file that I'm using, there's also a text file that is exactly the right length, appears to adhere to KJV versification, and also marks the skipped verses, so I can probably use that to help my script work with that.

Anyway, aside from this one hiccup, things are going quite well. If this works right, the finished module should have Strong's numbers, morphology codes, lemmas, and Koine Greek word forms. The morphology codes are a bit of a mess because the SR uses its own morphology code format that isn't entirely compatible with the RMAC-en codes, so I'm going to have to also make a morphology code module as a companion. That shouldn't be too difficult though.

mathetes

Post by mathetes »

The 10 min. solution for the SR module is to open the available .txt in Notepad++, then:
*from the Encoding menu, convert it to a UTF-8-BOM encoding,
*from the Edit menu, convert the EOL to Windows,
*cut & paste the info lines at the top to the bottom of the file,
*use the Notepad++ Column Mode to remove the verse numbers (or regex "^[0-9]+[[:space:]]" to ""),
*delete the first ¶,
*do a regex search & replace: "\n¶" to "<CM>\n",
*do a regex search & replace for all other ¶: "[[:space:]]¶" to "<CM>",
*save it as a .nt file,
*copy to the Bibles folder for theWord and restart,
*and then use https://www.theword.net/bin/get.php/GrkAnLex.dct.exe for the morphology.
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

That's a quick way, but it loses a ton of the info that is available. If I'm going to take the time to make a whole new module, I'm going to try and make it really good if I can, at least this time. Besides, some Python scripting makes it easy to do complex manipulations very quickly.

(edit: I must have been tired when I wrote this the first time, because reading it now it came across as somewhat mean even though I never intended it that way, so I edited it. Sorry about that.)

Thanks for the stuff with the paragraph markers though, I didn't think about those.
Last edited by arraybolt3 on Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

OK, well here's a screenshot of the first "hey this actually looks usable" prototype.
SR_Prototype.png
SR_Prototype.png (188.79 KiB) Viewed 3083 times
Morphology codes don't work yet since the companion module hasn't been made, but the Strong's numbers appear to work, paragraph breaks work, there's normal and Koine word forms (I think? I actually am not entirely sure what the "Koine" data field in the SR.tsv file is, but I included it so that you could toggle it with the "k" key), and all of the verses that were omitted have been replaced by dashes so that the module actually works right.

So we're getting somewhere!

Jacob11

Post by Jacob11 »

Thanks, the small letters are called medieval and Capital is called Uncial script. The medieval should be default, and the Uncial is helpful for practising reading it by toggling K or rather U
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Arraybolt3,
How is the Bible coming for you? Also if possible it is helpful to remap to Robinsons morphology rather than make a new morphology. If not it is understandable.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
Jacob11

New Catholic Bible 2009

Post by Jacob11 »

NCB is great. It is a study bible, the study notes are great. Contact Emilie for the module

TRUSTED ● PROVEN ● RELIABLE

Buy the Best in Catholic Books

Please visit us at www.catholicbookpublishing.com for our full

line of publications from Catholic Book, World Catholic Press,

Resurrection Press, and Regina Press.
Jacob11

Post by Jacob11 »

this site Biblebento has linguistic annotation versions, I am sure he provides them for free,

here is SBL linguistic annotation. https://biblebento.com/index.html?sblgntc&500.1.1

also see his Marvel bible versions. See if this can be included in theWord https://marvel.bible/index.php?text=MPB&b=43&c=1&v=13
Jacob11

Post by Jacob11 »

Jacob11 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:08 am NCB is great. It is a study bible, the study notes are great. Contact Emilie for the module
I got NCB on Mybible.zone on the phone easily after I asked them to make it available. The NJB is the most widely used catholic bible, it is highly recommended too. Kindly ask for its permission as well, it is not easily found on bible websites.

The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) is a Catholic translation of the Bible published in 1985. The New Jerusalem Bible (NJB) has become the most widely used Roman Catholic Bible outside of the United States. It has the imprimatur of Cardinal George Basil Hume. https://www.catholic.org/bible/
Jacob11

Plz get this Bible module

Post by Jacob11 »

New Testament for Everyone (NTE)
© Nicholas Thomas Wright 2011. Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge https://spckpublishing.co.uk/the-new-te ... r-everyone

The English style is beautiful in this version, preserving the rhetorical or rhyming as in the Greek. For readability this version is excellent.
To the lawless I became like someone lawless (even though I’m not lawless before God, but under the Messiah’s law), so that I could win the lawless.
----
3 You witless Galatians! Who has bewitched you? King Jesus was portrayed on the cross before your very eyes! 2 There’s just one thing I want to know from you. Did you receive the spirit by doing the works of Torah, or by hearing and believing? 3 You are so witless: you began with the spirit, and now you’re ending with the flesh? 4 Did you really suffer so much for nothing – if indeed it is going to be for nothing? 5 The one who gives you the spirit and performs powerful deeds among you – does he do this through your performance of Torah, or through hearing and believing?
Jacob11

Post by Jacob11 »

ESV2016, the latest edition of ESV would be great.

also, perhaps this free Byzantine version English text with critical footnotes showing the readings of the critical text like NA and WH, will be helpful for some people. https://ebible.org/bible/details.php?id=engtcent&all=1 It is misleadingly named English Text Critical NT.