King James Version (1769) Apocrypha

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources
arraybolt3

King James Version (1769) Apocrypha

Post by arraybolt3 »

This is the Apocrypha from the 1769 King James Version, pulled from the Crosswire Bible Society's SWORD module "KJVA". Built using TotheWord D1.9.2f, tested on theWord 6.0.0.1527 and 5.0.0.1451 (which was the closest beta I could find to the official release of theWord 5). It consists of the following books:

* 1 Esdras
* 2 Esdras
* Tobit
* Judith
* Additions to Esther
* Wisdom of Solomon
* Sirach
* Baruch
* Prayer of Azariah
* Susanna
* Bel and the Dragon
* Prayer of Mannaseh
* 1 Maccabees
* 2 Maccabees

Disclaimer: I used Linux-based operating systems for developing this module, so prepare for the possibility that this may look wonky on Windows and please tell me if that happens.

King James Version Apocrypha version 0.2 (built for theWord 5.0.0.1450 and later): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bkZKBC ... share_link

Module source code: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aitmKI ... share_link

Link to the older 0.1 version (this version lacks bookmarks, has more typos, and has some different formatting choices, among other things): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Notes:

I'm hoping that this can eventually become an official theWord module, so I've attempted to follow the standards for official theWord book modules. If you have suggestions for how this could be better, please let me know, and so long as it improves the module and works with theWord's book module formatting standards, I can try and work it in.

Bookmarks on each verse have been added! It is now possible to link directly to verses and verse ranges in the text.

Lastly, I just want to say that TotheWord is awesome. This whole job took several hours to accomplish thanks to God and this awesome tool, rather than the few days I was initially expecting. Thank you guys!
Last edited by arraybolt3 on Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm just an unworthy servant of Christ trying to do my job. But I love my job. :D

theWord 6 on Wine Staging and Windows 11
jonathangkoehn

Re: King James Version (1769) Apocrypha

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Greetings arraybolt3,
I am glad TTW worked well for you. That is good.
As to what you would like to do with bookmarks, verses please explain in detail.

I assume you want to link from the Bible to the Apocrypha? Or from another module to the Apocrypha, Book, Chapter, Verse?

[edit] You will need to use a hyper-link not <link> then build it theWord way example:
tw://nd6?t=λογος
full would be something like tw://bookid?t=topicid&popup=1#bookmark-
This topic has more on these links here: https://forum.theword.net/viewtopic.php?t=7949
However I may make something called <tw-link> but I need to think on it.

<bkm> is designed to work internally in a module. So that will not do for your needs. (I may be able to design another one like <bkm-ex>.) I need to think on this. <slf> is also designed to work internally in a module.

There is a manual way to insert bookmarks in TotheWord but that is time consuming. See Insert > Bookmark in the Main Menu.
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

jonathangkoehn wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:31 am I assume you want to link from the Bible to the Apocrypha? Or from another module to the Apocrypha, Book, Chapter, Verse?
A friend of mine places references to verses from the Apocrypha in their studies quite frequently. It would be handy to be able to hover over those references and have the correct passage appear in a popup similar to how Bible modules work. theWord has the ability to do this, but it requires bookmarks to be made in the module containing the material you want to reference. Then in the hyperlink editor, one can choose to link to a topic of an external module, and then specify the bookmark range to link to.

A <bkm-ex> tag would be awesome, perhaps it could behave like <bkm> but the text inside <bkm-ex></bkm-ex> would become the bookmark name rather than a solely internal identifier. Then I could use a find regex like ^(\d+) to match the verse numbers and use a replace regex of <bkm-ex>Sirach 1:$1</bkm-ex>$1 to turn them into bookmarks for one particular chapter.

Thanks for letting me suggest a feature, and thank you a ton for TotheWord. I hope to continue to use it to make modules in the future.

(Also, as a side note, I am not submitting the module linked to in the original post for possible inclusion in theWord's repos yet - there's a few changes I'd like to make with some of the formatting and at least one typo from the source text I spotted earlier that I'd like to correct. And I'll probably find other things that could use tweaking too.)
I'm just an unworthy servant of Christ trying to do my job. But I love my job. :D

jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Bkm would need to be like <bkm-ex>v1</bkm-ex> (I need to remember this a bit more there are limitations on what can be in a bookmark)

It is the hyperlink that needs to have the full link.
Like hyperlink tw://apocryphabookid?t=Sirach1#v1- something like this and the apocryphabookid must never change or this breaks. Links are a combination of single topic plus bookmark.
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

update to bookmark understanding. Here is a screenshot from theWord.
bkm.JPG
bkm.JPG (19.82 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
So bookmarks can be:

"The name of the bookmark is used in links (please use only English letters a-zA-Z, numbers 0-9, and underscores _. "Name" should start with a letter and contain no spaces. So Siriach1_1, Siriach1_2 etc would work. However, links I believe need a topic.
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

Makes sense. That would still work perfect for what I'm hoping to do.

jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Update of TTW 1.9.2a with <twhyp> and <twbkm> note however they do not work in Bible editor only in Book editor
Go to this topic for the download.
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

Awesome, going to look at it soon. Right now I'm doing a mass spellcheck of the whole module, I'll upgrade TotheWord and use it for the 0.2 version of the module.

arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

Nice, that is doing almost exactly what I want. There are a couple of bugs with the <twbkm> tags though.

1. For each <twbkm>bookmarkName</twbkm> section you have, the following error is printed on the screen when you go to build a general book with these tags:

Error in regular expression at offset 8: missing terminating ] for character class
This Regex error is in the follwoing:
Pattern:
^[a-zA-Z

This was able to be triggered with the following code in TotheWord:

<:>Test
<twbkm>Verse1</twbkm>1 Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope of a fool than of him.
<twbkm>Verse2</twbkm>2 Testing this new faeture.
<twbkm>Verse3</twbkm>3 Testing some more.

2. There's some special character getting inserted into the text that isn't actually displaying in theWord, but that you can see in the bookmark editor of theWord. A screenshot of the problem is here: https://ibb.co/7tR75xR The fourth bookmark was one I added in theWord itself after the fact, the first three are the ones generated by TotheWord.

Anyway, other than those two things, it works great in my testing. Thanks a ton for this, and hopefully this bug report is helpful. Also, I tested <twhyp> and it appears to work perfectly so far from what I've tested.

jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Thanks for the testing sorry about the ] bug. Please see 1.9.2c update.
Also please let me know if that character shows up. Make sure there is not a list going on or bullets
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

Sorry for the delay, caught up in other parts of life.

The ] bug is fixed it appears - the module builds without problems and renders just fine in theWord.

I am still seeing that odd character in the Text column of the Bookmarks window like shown in the screenshot earlier. I am sure there is no list going on (unless the 1, 2, 3 is getting rendered as a numbered list, which I don't think it is since the RVF editor has a specific button to do that and I didn't press that button).

All of this is with TotheWord D1.9.2f.

Thanks again, this looks like it should be good enough to add that feature I wanted to the KJV Apocrypha module. I've also gotten a spellchecker trained to work with the old KJV text, so the 0.2 version should have much less typos and better linking.

jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Thanks for letting me know about the character.
Can you email me that pasted into an rvf file? To support thewordbooks.com . It shouldn't cause problems since Text in bookmarks is more like knowing where it is at.
But I am curious to know what it is.
arraybolt3

Post by arraybolt3 »

Releasing the King James Version Apocrypha module version 0.2.

Changes from the original version:
  • Spellchecked the entire module, fixing tons of typos. I have attempted to preserve archaic spellings, and only correct legitimate errors. The process isn't perfect so there's probably still some errors, but there's a bunch less than there were before.
  • Changed the font size of the headers for the Prayer of Azariah, Susanna, Bel and the Dragon, and the Prayer of Manasseh. The headers were originally 20pt, which matched with the other book headers in the module, but looked out of place since none of those four "books" have chapter divisions and so the book headers are used immediately before the text. The headers are now 10pt like chapter headers.
  • Removed the word "Chapter" from each chapter header - this makes it easier to type references in the hyperlink editor (rather than having to type "Sirach Chapter 1", you can just type "Sirach 1" now).
  • Changed "Wisdom of Solomon" to just "Wisdom" in the chapter headers. Also for the sake of reduced typing.
  • Added bookmarks on every verse in the module. This allows you to link to individual verses or verse ranges from within user modules, allowing references to the Apocrypha to show up in popups or be clicked on.
  • Upgraded the version of TotheWord used for module creation - the latest version has been updated with and built using TotheWord D1.9.2f. theWord 5 and theWord 6 are still targeted.
  • Figured out how to make a proper bulleted list on the forums. OK so that's not a change that made it into the module but whatever :lol:
Source code: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aitmKI ... sp=sharing

Built module: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bkZKBC ... sp=sharing

If you're looking for the older 0.1 version for some reason, it is available here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing