The Quest for a Young's Analytical Concordance

Discussion on theWord modules and other resources

Should I try and make a Young's Analytical Concordance module?

Yes, I know someone who will use it once it's out!
No votes
I don't have a use for it, but sound's like a good idea.
No votes
I'd know someone who'd it if it existed, but I wouldn't recommend trying to make it.
No votes
Terrible idea, turn back now.
No votes

Total votes: 0

arraybolt3

The Quest for a Young's Analytical Concordance

Post by arraybolt3 »

After having gotten some practice with TotheWord in making a KJV Apocrypha module, I'm thinking about what my next module should be. From having done some research, it appears that there is a demand for a Young's Analytical Concordance, but that such a module doesn't exist yet, either officially or unofficially. From just glancing at a hard copy of the book, it's pretty obvious why it doesn't exist yet - Young's Analytical Concordance's text formatting looks like a nightmare to parse, and the book is huge. Additionally, figuring out what parts are and aren't under copyright appears to be a challenge - the concordance itself is likely in the public domain at this point, but there are some additions that publishers add that are copyrighted.

Perhaps this is a bit ambitious, but I'm keen on trying to create the first Young's Analytical Concordance module for theWord. I can pull most of the pages from Archive.org, and for the few that have cut-off words, I have a physical copy of the book that I can type or scan from. I also have a fairly powerful laptop with enough RAM to likely handle the thousands of pages in the finished document. And I know how to code, so depending on what exactly Tesseract (the OCR software I intend to use) gives me, I should be able to turn it into something that looks nice as a theWord dictionary.

The questions I have about this project are:

1. Has anyone researched what is and isn't under copyright for the Young's Analytical Concordance? What parts of it are safe to copy, and what parts of it should I steer clear of?

2. How good or bad of an idea do you think this is? (I have this set up as a poll for voting on it.)

3. Does anyone even have a use for this sort of thing?
Last edited by arraybolt3 on Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just an unworthy servant of Christ trying to do my job. But I love my job. :D

theWord 6 on Wine Staging and Windows 11
arraybolt3

Re: The Quest for a Young's Analytical Concordance

Post by arraybolt3 »

Did some more research on the copyright status, it looks like the most recent for-sure safe version would be the British 7th Edition, which was published prior to 1923 and so is (I believe) in the public domain in the US. The eighth edition might be safely usable, but it would require research on whether or not the copyright was renewed. At any rate, the Seventh Edition can be easily downloaded from Archive.org, so that's probably the version I'll at least start experimenting with.

(There's also a 20th American Edition that would likely be usable, but it appears to be mostly the same as the British 7th Edition.)
I'm just an unworthy servant of Christ trying to do my job. But I love my job. :D

theWord 6 on Wine Staging and Windows 11