Apocrypha Support

Ideas and suggestions about new features
Fannon

Apocrypha Support

Post by Fannon »

Hi!

One more feature request i would love to see:
Could you implement a apocrypha support for "the word" ?

Especially for the catholic users of this program :)

Thank you,
Simon
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Dear Simon,
i plan to add the apocrypha as books, i am also considering making the improter do this. You will be able to see them there in the study view but not in the Bible view,
Sorry brother,
Costas
Fannon

Post by Fannon »

Would this be an extra module?
Ok, I can understand the idea behind that.

But this would exclude those books from thesearch function, right?

blessings,
Simon
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Yes, this would be an extra module. But don't worry, the non-Biblical modules will be fully
search-able too.

Costas
Fannon

Post by Fannon »

Ok. I cant await this new release :)

I'm using "The sword" nearly daily. Essential for my bible-research :roll:

Simon
stef

Apocrypha

Post by stef »

Hi,

It would be great if the word support apocrypha as e-sword.
I am starting uses the word but it is lacking of this feature. I hope in the future, brother Costas is able to incorporate apocrypha as part of the bible.
Looking forward to seeing this features.

God bless,
stef
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hello Stef,
as it was mentioned, they will be available in the study view as books, but not in the Bible view,
Costas
l_d_allan

Post by l_d_allan »

Dear Simon,
I plan to add the apocrypha as books
Costas
Do you happen to have a table or spreadsheet with the verses per chapter of the Apocrypha?

I'm pretty ignorant of the Apocrypha. And then I get more confused because it seems that the Eastern Orthodox church has a "canon" with more books than the Catholic Bible canon ... like 1 & 2 Esdras, and others?

And the versification of the NRSV and the NAB don't agree .. there seem to be a number of differences.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Lynn Allan wrote:
Dear Simon,
I plan to add the apocrypha as books
Costas
Do you happen to have a table or spreadsheet with the verses per chapter of the Apocrypha?

I'm pretty ignorant of the Apocrypha. And then I get more confused because it seems that the Eastern Orthodox church has a "canon" with more books than the Catholic Bible canon ... like 1 & 2 Esdras, and others?

And the versification of the NRSV and the NAB don't agree .. there seem to be a number of differences.
No i don't. As far as i have seen, there are enough different versions of the apocrypha... I plan to support them as general books (and not as normal Bible books), so each module can have it's own v11n.
Costas
DrMiKEY

Post by DrMiKEY »

I am glad to hear that their will be support for this in the future, I hope soon. :D
Lynn Allan wrote: I'm pretty ignorant of the Apocrypha. And then I get more confused because it seems that the Eastern Orthodox church has a "canon" with more books than the Catholic Bible canon ... like 1 & 2 Esdras, and others?
Catholics have Deuterocanonical books which are part of the Catholic bible.
These books are:
  • Tobit
    Judith
    Additions to Esther
    Wisdom
    Sirach or Ecclesiasticus
    Baruch, including the Letter of Jeremiah

Additions to Daniel:
    • Song of the Three Children (Vulgate Daniel 3:24-90)
      Story of Susanna (Vulgate Daniel 13)
      The Idol Bel and the Dragon (Vulgate Daniel 14)

1 Maccabees
    2 Maccabees
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

DrMiKEY wrote:I am glad to hear that their will be support for this in the future, I hope soon. :D
Lynn Allan wrote: I'm pretty ignorant of the Apocrypha. And then I get more confused because it seems that the Eastern Orthodox church has a "canon" with more books than the Catholic Bible canon ... like 1 & 2 Esdras, and others?
Catholics have Deuterocanonical books which are part of the Catholic bible.
These books are:
  • Tobit
    Judith
    Additions to Esther
    Wisdom
    Sirach or Ecclesiasticus
    Baruch, including the Letter of Jeremiah

Additions to Daniel:
    • Song of the Three Children (Vulgate Daniel 3:24-90)
      Story of Susanna (Vulgate Daniel 13)
      The Idol Bel and the Dragon (Vulgate Daniel 14)

1 Maccabees
    2 Maccabees
Thanks for the help DrMiKey
As i have said in the past, the support of the Deuterocanonical will not be in the Bible view, but in the Book view. This support is also enabled, the only thing missing is the content.
I may try to hurry the importer to convert any Zefania Bible to a book, so this will allow you to use the deuterocanonicals as books,
Costas
DrMiKEY

Post by DrMiKEY »

I don't know, just a thought...

Presently the converter recognizes these books, for example in the Zefania DRB, as apocryphal.
Would it be dificult to make an option in the converter to include these.

In the bible view, their is a list of Books, either OT or NT.
If a bible version doesnt contain either, these are not displayed, like with the Septuagint

Would it be posible to enable this also for these books that are parts of the bible versions?

Like with the mentioned Septuagint:
Tobit, Judith, Wisdom of Solomon, Wisdom of Jesus Sirach, Baruch, Epistle of Jeremy (which later became chapter 6 of Baruch in the Vulgate), additions to Daniel (The Prayer of Azarias, the Song of the Three Children, Sosanna and Bel and the Dragon), additions to Esther, 1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees, 3 Maccabees, 4 Maccabees, 1 Esdras, Odes, including the Prayer of Manasses, and Psalm 151

...are all parts of the original Septuagint, so shouldn't they be included so that the Septuagint (as well as the Vulgate, DRB, ...) are in their "original" form, at least according to the originals they were transcribed from. I have found the the Zefania contain these books.

I am not saying that all of these books are deuterocanonical by all, but it would be nteresting to see also what others read.

I feel that some apocrypha, for example Enoch, could be included in the book view, even though they are considered apocrypheal by all christans except Ethiopian Orthodox.

So in sort I am wondering, is it problematic to make it part of the Bible view? Programming? Referencing to other versions that don't contain these books? I am willing to donate when such possabilities are capable.

PS: love this program how easy it is to use and all the functions.

MiKEY
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

DrMiKEY wrote:I don't know, just a thought...

Presently the converter recognizes these books, for example in the Zefania DRB, as apocryphal.
Would it be dificult to make an option in the converter to include these.

In the bible view, their is a list of Books, either OT or NT.
If a bible version doesnt contain either, these are not displayed, like with the Septuagint

Would it be posible to enable this also for these books that are parts of the bible versions?

Like with the mentioned Septuagint:
Tobit, Judith, Wisdom of Solomon, Wisdom of Jesus Sirach, Baruch, Epistle of Jeremy (which later became chapter 6 of Baruch in the Vulgate), additions to Daniel (The Prayer of Azarias, the Song of the Three Children, Sosanna and Bel and the Dragon), additions to Esther, 1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees, 3 Maccabees, 4 Maccabees, 1 Esdras, Odes, including the Prayer of Manasses, and Psalm 151

...are all parts of the original Septuagint, so shouldn't they be included so that the Septuagint (as well as the Vulgate, DRB, ...) are in their "original" form, at least according to the originals they were transcribed from. I have found the the Zefania contain these books.

I am not saying that all of these books are deuterocanonical by all, but it would be nteresting to see also what others read.

I feel that some apocrypha, for example Enoch, could be included in the book view, even though they are considered apocrypheal by all christans except Ethiopian Orthodox.

So in sort I am wondering, is it problematic to make it part of the Bible view? Programming? Referencing to other versions that don't contain these books? I am willing to donate when such possabilities are capable.

PS: love this program how easy it is to use and all the functions.

MiKEY
Hello MiKEY,
the program was designed from the beginning to conform to the Masoretic OT. Technically, this means that it is really difficult to support the apocrypha. The LXX does not contain the apocrypha and there have been some verse adjustments (where the original verse number is included in parenthesis) to make it usable with the program.

But this was not a random decision, the reason was that i don't believe that the apocrypha or deuterocanonical are part of the Bible. I know there are differing opinions out there (for which i don't want to engage in a discussion in this forum), but i had to make a choice according to what I believe is God's Word.
I think that these books have historical value and they should be included as reference books. The 'General book' functionallity serves this purpose very well in 2 perspectives:
1. It can support random hierachical books (so no problem with any versification)
2. It implicitly makes clear that these are reference books, not books of the Bible (i do argue from my point of view).

"The Word" is not just a tool to accommodate any 'holy book'. I could probably make it easy enough to put the Koran in the Bible view and have an even broader user base, but this is not my purpose. "The Word" is a program to study the Bible, primarily. This is why it's internal structure is designed in a way to do exactly this and nothing more.

I believe that the design of the program is according to the purpose of the whole effort, e.g. to bring a quality program for free to study the Word of God; it's not to make money or be 'stretched' to included things outside it's original purpose. I wouldn't know what i would have to answer to God otherwise.

For a last note: i know that there are many dear brothers that disagree with this position, and I am sure that we will all know better when we meet in heaven.
In Christ,
Costas
DrMiKEY

Post by DrMiKEY »

Thank you for your reply.

You are correct, it is for God to judge.

I just felt that if a bible version is included, then it should be included with all the parts of that specific version,
but I understand your point of view.

I have the deuterocanonical books of DRC and KJV (called apocrypha here) in verse per line format.
How can I make these into books?

Thank you

MiKEY
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

DrMiKEY wrote:Thank you for your reply.

You are correct, it is for God to judge.

I just felt that if a bible version is included, then it should be included with all the parts of that specific version,
but I understand your point of view.
Yes, this is indeed an issue i have to admit. But my answer above makes me take a different approach. This is a reason that i may include alternated versification in a future version.
I have the deuterocanonical books of DRC and KJV (called apocrypha here) in verse per line format.
How can I make these into books?
Hard question. I don't think so.
I plan to fix the importer to import zefania Bible modules as Books (so it can convert a Bible to a Book including the aporcrypha). But i am not sure how to do this with a vpl. The vpl has no info on divisions. The reason the .ont files are vpl files is because TW knows how to break it apart in books/chapters/verses.

Other ideas?
Costas