tip: commentary linking (library of sorts)

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
barolam

tip: commentary linking (library of sorts)

Post by barolam »

hi all, i didn't see this browsing thru previous topics so here goes... (i hope i can explain this clearly :shock: )

i just discovered by chance how to have a commentary that lists hyperlinks of all your commentaries for whatever verse, w/out actually having any topics of its own. you all may have noticed, sometimes if you click on a verse in bible view, and let's say, whatever commentary you have active doesn't have any info for that verse, it will tell you, e.g.:

No commentary entry for 1 John 2:8
You may check one of the following commentaries for this verse:

...and then it will list hyperlinks for your commentaries that have info...

well, click on "file", then on "new user module", select "commentary", name it whatever you want ( i named mine "CommLink" for example), and then right-click on it's tab, go to "module properties...", click on the "settings/actions" tab, and un-check where it says "user module (can be edited)". click ok in the pop up, then close the "module properties..." dialog box, click on whatever verse in your bible view, and whala!

you now have a commentary that hyperlinks all your commentaries in a list! obviously, you can just hover over the links to quickly compare what each one says about the verse, and then if you want, you can just click on whatever link and it will go directly to that commentary!

and this way, since it doesn't have any topics of its own, no matter what verse in the bible you click on, this will simply give you a list of all commentaries that speak of that verse. i guess you could call it a library catalogue of sorts...

well, you can call me simple, but hopefully some of you all will find this as useful and exciting as i do! :D

let me know what you think... cool! or lame?

ps, if i didn't make sense at some point to anyone, please ask and i'll gladly try to elaborate...

hope this helps
Scribe

Re: tip: commentary linking (library of sorts)

Post by Scribe »

Cool! :mrgreen:

I've used (noticed) this before when viewing commentaries that had no comments on a verse, but never considered or ever thought about your described method. This idea is a gem. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings
barolam

Post by barolam »

hey Scribe, thanks!

just so everyone is aware, i have noticed that if you create this, then close the Word and re-open it later, when you have your module active w/out first clicking on a bible verse, it'll only say this:

Please, select a topic to display
Click here to see a list of topics for module "CommLink".

...w/out any hyperlinks... no worry... just click on a verse and it's back to normal!
Teleios

Post by Teleios »

Thanks barolam! That is a great tip.
Last edited by Teleios on Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

I think there is a tool kindly developed by one of our fellows in this forum, and generously given as free to use that does something similar, but the commentary created by him has all the topics built in itself. Can anyone reference this tool and teach us how to use it?

barolam: Thanks for you great suggestion.
Last edited by Leoram on Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leoram
Manuel

Post by Manuel »

Leoram wrote:I think there is a tool kindly developed by one of our fellows in this forum, and generously given as free to use that does something similar, but the commentary created by him has all the topics built in itself. Can anyone reference this tool and teach us how to use it?

Scrbe: Thanks for you great suggestion.
Hi Leoram, here's the tread viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2097, the use is quite simple just follow the steps :D .

Manuel.
Awaiting the return of the Lord (The Glorious rapture of the Church)...

http://jesus-christ-is-coming.blogspot.com/
http://www.cristo-viene.cl
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

Manuel wrote:
Leoram wrote:I think there is a tool kindly developed by one of our fellows in this forum, and generously given as free to use that does something similar, but the commentary created by him has all the topics built in itself. Can anyone reference this tool and teach us how to use it?
Hi Leoram, here's the tread viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2097, the use is quite simple just follow the steps :D .

Manuel.
Thanks Manuel. I will check it and hope to find out how to use it.
Leoram
Manuel

Post by Manuel »

Leoram wrote:
Manuel wrote:

Manuel.
Thanks Manuel. I will check it and hope to find out how to use it.
If you find any problem i'm willing to help.
Awaiting the return of the Lord (The Glorious rapture of the Church)...

http://jesus-christ-is-coming.blogspot.com/
http://www.cristo-viene.cl
Scribe

Post by Scribe »

All,
Teleios wrote:Thanks Scribe! That is a great tip.

Scrbe: Thanks for you great suggestion.

Wish I could take credit for this idea, it wasn't mine it was barolam.

Thanks again barolam
Leoram

Post by Leoram »

Scribe wrote:All,
Teleios wrote:Thanks Scribe! That is a great tip.

Scribe: Thanks for you great suggestion.

Wish I could take credit for this idea, it wasn't mine it was barolam.

Thanks again barolam
Yes Scribe, you are right. I have edited my post for the change. I hope others do it too to do justice.

Thanks Scribe for your humble clarification. Humility highlights the great personality behind people, and it's good in the eyes of God.
Leoram
cross

Post by cross »

I know I'm late to this topic but I found this idea to work well for me and it will help me a great deal.

Let me ask you this; it seems this works well for all commentary modules I have installed but many of the commentary modules are system properties typed as "general book" and therefore are excluded from this hyperlinking process.

Is there anyway around this problem with commentaries that are installed as "books" instead of "commentary?"
barolam

Post by barolam »

hi, could you list some examples of modules? i'll be happy to look into it...
cross

Post by cross »

Thanks for the quick reply. Here are a few:

Newell, William R. - Romans Verse by Verse (newell-romans.gbk.twm) is typed as a General Book
Leupold, H.C. - Exposition of Genesis Vol I and II (Leupold, H.C. - Exposition of Genesis Vol I and II.twm) is typed as a General Book
Walvoord, John F. - Revelation (walvoord-revelation.gbk.twm) is typed as a General Book

Many others are typed the same way and I could use them being included in the hypelinking module you discovered.
barolam

Post by barolam »

sorry, due to the way the modules are internally tagged when created, the only option i can see is to create a user commentary module, then copy, paste, and split/arrange the info from the source into cmt format. and obviously that would be time consuming.

as far as Leupold, H.C. - Exposition of Genesis Vol I and II

i happen to have this in the cmt format, so i'll add it as an attachment. not sure where i got it, tho i think i most likely imported it from e-sword. according to ccel.org it is public domain...
Leupold Genesis.cmt.zip
(972.54 KiB) Downloaded 706 times
cross

Post by cross »

Again, thanks for your help!