Windows-based tablet?

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
eliranwong

Re: Windows-based tablet?

Post by eliranwong »

Costas,

May I give you some more ideas from a iPad user perspective?
I own most, if not all, popular and functional bibe apps for iPad.
I used them for preparing sermons and bible tranings.
Below is what I find the strengths of different apps,
which may help bible software developers to consider when they design bible app for iPad:

1) Accordance - Good tool for simple Hebrew & Greek studies; serach ability for Asian characters; users can make their own bible modules through mac version of Accordance and sync. to iPad app; the most impressive thing is its search ability, if you enter "Joh 3:16; Gen 1:1; Deu 6:4" as search entry, the app will show you three verses simultaneously. I once entered 150 verses references, 1 from each psalm, and the app return 150 different verses at the same time. It is very convenient for me for reading scholarly article or preparing course notes for training classes.
2) Olivetree - Paragraph heading available above each pericope; users can makes notes both on a single verse and a single topic (user can create a single topic, like sermon), with bible reference hyperlinked to bible modules (this features is shared by desktop version of theWord, recent e-Sword HD can only make notes on individual verse without hyperlink); good tool for simple Hebrew and Greek studies, but runs slow.
3) e-Sword HD - very fast and effective; compare a SINGLE verse of different versions; parallel reading can show MORE THAN 2 bible versions at the same time (common apps only show 2); allow user to search current book with a simple touch - I know all these features are available in desktop version of theWord.
4) Logos - the only strength is its diverse availabilities of books and modules, but the program is slow to run.

If there is one app that have all these features, plus the unique features of theWord, then I don't need to switch between different apps.

Eliran
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

very useful
Josh Bond

Post by Josh Bond »

csterg wrote:Not a decision yet. The WinRT is still a very small market and I think I would first target the iPad if i went that way.
I am still unconvinced of these markets, although they have a pretty good share. I understand that the need there is very different: there is no need for a Bible study program, its mostly a Bible reader that people are looking for and there are already plenty. I wonder how different can theWord be.
Costas
You've nailed the issue by understanding that people really aren't seeking Bible study on a mobile platform--they want a "Bible reader" with associated content (commentaries, dictionaries, etc). The advantage of understanding this is it reduces the project scope dramatically. No need for time consuming and difficult-to-code features. It's just text synchronization and the maybe the ability to display Hebrew and Greek. And adhering to Apple's guidelines so they approve your app. :)_

How could you be different?

1) You could be free. Not saying you should be--just one way to distinguish the app.

2) You could allow free third party modules through a repository or an installer (many existing free iPad apps are free, but charge for most extra content, even public domain). The idea is if someone wants some off the beaten path resource or something someone made on a forum, they can install it one way or another.

3) You could be "easy to use"--intuitive--if you look at iPad apps, some app developers should not be allowed to design UI's. :) e-Sword HD does #3 as good as any app I have seen, although it could be improved by offering better navigation of dictionary entries and commentary entries, similar to theWord's subpanel that shows dictionary entries and commentary entries.

I do not currently see an iPad resource that fills all three. I've even considered making an iPad app that meets the 3 criteria in a way I feel they should be met. The problem is: if I make an app, it's all I'll be able to do for a while. :( I've heard from a lot of people about how they want their own modules in the iPad. I receive daily emails on this.

But is it worth your time and effort versus how many people would use it? How many of your current users own an iPad or iPhone? That's the big question. I can't answer that. I do believe think there is a market for something yet to be created.

Josh
WordModules.com
Large, reference modules for Evangelical Christians. 100% Free. No strings attached.
mathetes

Post by mathetes »

This article lays out an arguement that Android is the biggest seller now and will grow exponentially in the future. Windows is a non-starter and iOS is second but may soon go to 3rd place. They predict Android will hit the 3 billion user mark in 2015.

http://communities-dominate.blogs.com/b ... ver-s.html
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Great article, thank you SO much for sharing
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Josh Bond wrote:The problem is: if I make an app, it's all I'll be able to do for a while. :( I've heard from a lot of people about how they want their own modules in the iPad.
Same here, still considering, thanks for the thoughts
Costas
engellion

Post by engellion »

Hi Costas and Josh,

I think over the next twelve months you may find you will not need to focus on an iPad or Android app. Win8 Pro is the future of devices on the Microsoft platform --an OS optimised for touch yet still able to run legacy Windows software. The current rise in Win8 touch screen PC's and convertable tablets now on sale, Surface Pro and similar tablet devices, all running Win 8 Pro, plus the new low power chipsets from intel set to come to market in devices in the second half of 2013 (equating to even longer battery life under Win8 Pro), will probably see your time spent optimising theWord for touch devices.

If WinRT is out of the question, I think you would get a lot more value from a touch-optimised version of theWord running on Windows 8 Pro.

Blessings,
Paul.
PaulC

Check out YouTube for theWord Bible Software Tutorial Series 1
A series of introductory video tutorials for theWord Bible Software
petrosd

Post by petrosd »

After the initial surge of interest, Surface Tablets are dropping in sales. The design is great. "revolutionary" even. But to need to use 60-70% of the storage capacity for the OS is typical Microsoft bloat. And many of the articles about the Surface Tablets now focus on that hard to escape fact. As for speed, they are slow. Slower than an Android of IOS device with the same specs. And if they improve the processor speed they'll reduce the battery life. And if they increase the battery life by using larger batteries, they'll increase the wieght. And if they increase the weight,... well, you get the picture.

Windows Tablets will do OK in the business/geek on the go environment, but they are a non-starter for most because they can't compete on price, weight, features, capacity, or speed. That's a pity, because they do look good. :-)
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Interesting thoughts! Do you have links to these facts/reviews?
petrosd

Post by petrosd »

Here are some updated reviews. Several show the trade-offs between price/weight/battery life/storage (for example, the Pro solves the processing power needs but costs $900 for 64G version. The 64G loses half it's storage space to the OS, making the 128G version almost a necessity. It costs $1300, is heavier, and the battery doesn't last as long). A similarly powered Android tablet costs around $600, maybe $700. True, that's with less storage but it doesn't need as much because it runs in much less space.

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/microso ... 32494.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/microsoft-surface-pro/
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/tabl ... t-who-can/
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac ... 839/review
http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-surface ... 000010107/
http://www.theverge.com/products/surfac ... 8-pro/5800
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

THANK YOU for the links.
Very interesting.
engellion

Post by engellion »

petrosd wrote: But to need to use 60-70% of the storage capacity for the OS is typical Microsoft bloat.
This whole storage thing for the Microsoft Surface tablets needs to be brought into perspective. The 32GB Surface RT is quoting storage space in decimal form. The binary storage figure is 29GiB. See here: http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/storage

The Surface RT uses 8GiB of storage for the OS as well as for MS Office Home & Student 2013 RT plus the built in apps. 8GiB out of 29GiB = 27.5%. Not sure if I would call that "typical Microsoft bloat".

So what about the other 24GiB? Well, 5 GiB of space is taken up by a recovery partition. However, this can be reclaimed by backing it up to a USB Flash Drive and then recovering the space used by the partition on the Surface tablet. This adds an extra 5GiB back to the rest of the space which is available to the user - 24GiB in total.

Regarding the Surface Pro, comparing it to an Android Tablet is simply ridiculous. The Surface Pro is a full blown OS that can run TheWord Bible Software right now, no emulators required. Keep in mind, Surface Pro is geared towards the UltraBook and MacBook Air market. $1300 for a 128 GB Surface Pro is competitive in this market.

As for storage space, Technology writer, Ed Bott has a very good article comparing true storage capacity of the Surface Pro versus the MacBook Air. The results may suprise you. According to Bott, "the numbers Microsoft reports in its Windows utilities use a scale that unfairly disadvantages the Surface Pro when you look at supposedly similar numbers for the MacBook Air." Microsoft reports using the Bibary system, while Apple, since August 2009, reports storage using the Decimal system. The same size disk will always appear bigger under an Apple system then under a MS system.

http://www.zdnet.com/surface-pro-versus ... 000011009/

As for power, the Surface Pro is a full featured OS running on a full powered Core i5 intel machine with around 5 hrs of battery life. Typical Ultrabook territory.

But the Surface Pro is not the only tablet PC on the market now. Lenovo, Asus, Acer, Dell, HP, Sony, etc. all have great offerings. And these devices are not just for geeks. They are targeting the home market as well.

Though it has dropped over the last couple of years, according to some reports, Windows as of January 2013, still commands 80% of the OS market for computers. Handheld devices have eaten away at that, particularly iOS. However, iOS is just over 7%, while Mac is just over 6% and Android, just under 3%. http://marketshare.hitslink.com/os-mark ... px?qprid=9

As I said before, over the next 12 months, I think you would find focusing on a Touch Friendly interface for TheWord running on Win8 Intel hardware would be well worth the effort.

Blessings,
Paul.
PaulC

Check out YouTube for theWord Bible Software Tutorial Series 1
A series of introductory video tutorials for theWord Bible Software
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

This is interesting Paul.
I think it does make sense to make theWord more 'tablet friendly', yes
Costas
ichbindasauge

Post by ichbindasauge »

Great, thanks for considering that Costas ;-)

I am not sure what the adoption rate of the Surface Pro or other similar tablet/hybrid devices will be (I am looking at getting the Samsung Ativ Pro personally), but even many of the newer Ultrabooks and some Notebooks come with a touch screen in addition to the normal keyboard and touchpad.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I may need to get my hands on such a device to get a feeling of the real needs.
Costas