How to perform a silent/custom installation of theWord

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
paul1149

Re: How to perform a silent/custom installation of theWord

Post by paul1149 »

I deleted all spaces in the USB paths, and still got the same results. Then to eliminate the USB stick factor, I copied the install folder to C and placed the batch on the desktop - no spaces involved anywhere. I rewrote the command line in the batch to point to the new install directory. Still the same results: invalid switch.

Then in each location I tried the setup file directly, with the /S switch, and in both cases it did fire the prog, but interactively.
JG

Post by JG »

paul1149 wrote:I deleted all spaces in the USB paths, and still got the same results. Then to eliminate the USB stick factor, I copied the install folder to C and placed the batch on the desktop - no spaces involved anywhere. I rewrote the command line in the batch to point to the new install directory. Still the same results: invalid switch.

Then in each location I tried the setup file directly, with the /S switch, and in both cases it did fire the prog, but interactively.
So are you talking of the main installer? or just a module installer?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

In all cases I've been addressing the main installer. If it goes right the modules should follow - except for that weirdness of the modules being installed under the program files hierarchy at one point.
JG

Post by JG »

The main installer does not support the /S
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

JG - I had read the thread you cited before I posted on this issue, but I naturally assumed that Costas' statements here superseded that thread.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

There has been a confusion for which I am responsible:
the main installer that you download from the site is called: theword-setup-en.exe and is 50MB and is actually the package that contains everything in it. This one does not support a silent installation of course.

But I am NOT referring to this one!
The file i am referring to is called theword-setup.exe and is 188KB. This file is extracted when you run the main installer and THIS is the one that you should be using and supports the silent installation.
This is the one I patched. But the link i gave you above does not really work and instead it downloads again the big (full 50MB) package... sorry for that.
To get the small installer use this link: http://www.theword.net/files/setup/theword-setup.ex_ and rename to .exe.

(or download the big package again and do what I describe in the first post)
Costas
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Costas, I fall somewhere in the middle on that. I did the unwrapping of the installer package as you had originally suggested. And I am dealing with "theword-setup.exe", not "theword-setup-en.exe". But it is some 50 MB, not 188KB. There is nothing in that unwrapped package near 188KB, save some modules. That small installer is not in the big package, and this seems to be the root of the problem.
JG

Post by JG »

Got it working now from desktop on a VM XP notice the quotes just around the "Documents and Settings"

start /wait C:\"Documents and Settings"\Jon\Desktop\theword-setup.exe /S

did get this error at the end.
Screen Capture 8 2013-01-04 13 48 13.png
Screen Capture 8 2013-01-04 13 48 13.png (13.67 KiB) Viewed 7741 times
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

I cannot repeat that. Do you consistently get this?
Costas
JG

Post by JG »

csterg wrote:I cannot repeat that. Do you consistently get this?
Costas
Yes, but only on XP VM, not able to try on normal XP install.
Windows 7 did not have an issue.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

ok
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Ok, I finally got it sorted. There were two problems.

First, I must have moved the main installer into the folder where the installation components are. When I ran through the unpacking process in post #1, I got the 188KB executable again.

Second, I re-discovered that the Start command must contain the Title spec if the file path contains quotes. I knew that, but forgot, and removed them for conciseness. I then was finding that adding quotes to the file path of the executable was messing things up badly. So the correct form is

Start /Wait "" "my file path....exe" /S

This is working great. Now I have to edit all my batches to get them correct.

Thanks.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

This is great Paul. At least I know at least 1 person is using this :)
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Ok, I just gave it its maiden run. It seemed to work fine, but then on its first opening it said no Bibles were installed. I thought maybe because I wasn't CDing into the install directory before running the install file, so I ran it again from that folder. I had the books, backgrounds, cache, etc, but no Bibles. Strange.

So I ran the interactive installed and got everything. But when I opened Word all it showed was the Bible tree. No Bible or other windows were open at all, which was a bit disconcerting. They opened fine manually, but I'd like to have the simple View presented to a new user.

So there are still a couple of fine points that need clearing up.

Thanks.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Don't worry, these are easy.
A silent install makes a normal install, correct? Did you make sure the proper folders are all there?
Does the folder c:\ProgramData\TheWord exist?
Costas