theWord 4 for MAC

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
csterg
Site Admin

Re: theWord 4 for MAC

Post by csterg »

The easiest way is probably to just copy them over.
The modules are under your user folder:

Code: Select all

~user/Library/Wine/prefixes/theWord/drive_c/Program Files/The Word/
If you cannot see the Library folder, from Finder go to the Go->Go to menu menu and type Library.
Costas
EkkyBoy

Post by EkkyBoy »

I did them copied over. Now I'm having a problem with my paid modules. I copied and pasted all the info from my previous unlock but it states that it is invalid. I made sure that I did not have the quote marks and I have done it twice. Is it a different code for each computer? I don't have to purchase these modules again, do I?
JG

Post by JG »

What modules do you have a problem with.?
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

EkkyBoy wrote:I did them copied over. Now I'm having a problem with my paid modules. I copied and pasted all the info from my previous unlock but it states that it is invalid. I made sure that I did not have the quote marks and I have done it twice. Is it a different code for each computer? I don't have to purchase these modules again, do I?
Obviously you have an issue with packages. To install these, download the .exe files from the activation email, save them on a folder and install them from File->Install modules,
Costas
EkkyBoy

Post by EkkyBoy »

Thanks so much. Got everything over and running smooth on the Mac. Thanks again :D
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Great.
ww32574

Post by ww32574 »

I am using OS X 10.9.2. and having trouble opening the Word once it is downloaded in my Mac. I have installed X-Quartz and have it running. I then tried to open "theWord.pkg" and an error message popped up and said "it can not be opened because it is from an unidentified developer". I right clicked and chose open with, but the X-Quartz was greyed out, like it wouldn't let me choose it as an option. Please help! Thanks.
EkkyBoy

Post by EkkyBoy »

ww32574

Try and go into your security settings and override it. Often, Macs do this and I've had to do the same with a couple of programs that were originally made for Windows. Hopefully, this should solve your problem :)
WillysJeepMan

Post by WillysJeepMan »

Greetings all!

I just stumbled across TheWord software today. I've been, and continue to be a long time user of eSword (didn't move beyond v.8) and was curious as to how TheWord compared. After a few minutes of poking around, I believe that I finally may have found the software that would encourage me to switch. I'm very impressed with the capabilities and the structure of things. (something that I found lacking in packages like QuickVerse and Logos).

Using Wineskin Winery, I had created a single standalone executable to run eSword under OSX. No need to have XQuartz or WINE installed (they're included and configured within this standalone file). So after experimenting with TheWord, I decided that I wanted to create a similar executable. Within 10 minutes, I had one up and running.

With all of the Bible translations, dictionaries, commentaries, and graphics, the single file weighs in at 1GB. The base Wineskin that I configured (reusable for many other Windows apps) weighs in at 300MB. So if you take the space of the base package + 300MB, you'll get the total size of what the base executable would be.

I have a few OSX devices in the home, so being able to simply copy a single file from one device to another and getting it to work without the need to install XQuartz and WINE on each is terrific.

Has anyone else done this? And if so, have you been able to reduce the size of the base Wineskin?
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Hello and welcome,
this is very interesting and maybe WineSkin should be used for the next 'packaging' of theWord for MAC.
What iOS versions did you test with?
Costas
WillysJeepMan

Post by WillysJeepMan »

I tested it with OSX Mavericks.

I'm curious as to what others are using for fonts with TheWord and WINE. I find DroidSans to be the smoothest but also very thin. I'd love to see something a little bolder.
Oakd2k

Post by Oakd2k »

Recently upgraded my old PC to a Macbook.
1. Are there a set of step by step instructions to setup Word to OS Mavericks?
2. Is this a clean install or should I be aware of potential problems?
3. How can I then transfer extensive notes from PC version to the Mac program?

Thank you in advance for any help offered.
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Oakd2k wrote:Recently upgraded my old PC to a Macbook.
1. Are there a set of step by step instructions to setup Word to OS Mavericks?
2. Is this a clean install or should I be aware of potential problems?
3. How can I then transfer extensive notes from PC version to the Mac program?

Thank you in advance for any help offered.
Well, you just need to get the MAC package from the link at the first post of this thread and install theWord. The install should be simple enough. To transfer notes, modules, etc you just need to copy files from one place to the other. The thread here says how to do this (actually you just need to open the Finder on your MAC and copy files).
Try to move on and come back for help if you need,
Costas
Oakd2k

Post by Oakd2k »

Install went great. Able to move books, Bibles, subject and text notes. Looks and works great. Absolutely no problems.
Mac OS Mavericks
thanks for your help,
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Thank you for giving feedback!