Word lookup inconsistencies

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
therapon

Word lookup inconsistencies

Post by therapon »

Hi,
theWord 4.0.0.1360, Kubuntu 12.10, Wine 1.5.28

I'm not sure exactly when it started but word lookup is giving me fits. Here's the scenario:

I have BDB/Thayer (module I put together from the 2 individual ones), BestLex, Liddell-Scott-Jones, Mickelson selected in Word lookup dictionaries, BestLex for Strong's lookup. I have both "show lemma" and "show all dictionaries" checked.

I go to Psalm 47:1 in ABP module and hover over words/numbers. All the Strong's numbers work fine, finding everything in BestLex (or any other Strong's type dictionary I select). Not so with words!

Hovering over χείρας finds G5495 in BDB/Thayer and χείρ in LSJ. εν only shows up in BDB/Thayer. φωνή finds G5456 in BDB/Thayer and φωνή in LSJ. Dictionary-to-dictionary lookup has similar issues also.

Any idea what's going on? I've recreated the search indexes to no avail.

therapon
JG

Re: Word lookup inconsistencies

Post by JG »

The ABP module does not contain embedded lemma info. You can check this by right click on a Greek word and looking at the search and lookup menu, there is no lemma search or lookup.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
therapon

Post by therapon »

Hover doesn't find things like μη and εν (primary particle and primary preposition) in LSJ. It finds και correctly in BDB/Thayer but returns κα in LSJ. I don't think it's a lemma issue. Besides, the results are the same regardless of which Bible module I do the hover/lookup from. When I copy the greek word and paste into the dropdown box in LSJ it finds the entry no problem. Also, even though they're selected, I don't get results back from other dictionaries - BestLex, Mickelson - when they have identical entries to BDB/Thayer.
JG

Post by JG »

Finds those words ok for me in the LSJ.
What settings do you have in word lookup? 'Show all dictionaries not just the first one'
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
therapon

Post by therapon »

Yes, that is checked (see my first post). It seems that word lookup doesn't work at all in BestLex and Mickelson, only Strong's #. Is that by design? If not, then.... Anyway, which dictionaries are selected doesn't change whether the word is found in LSJ. Even if it's the only one, it doesn't do the hover lookup on words like μη and εν, doesn't get the right entry for και.

Another piece of information: if I click on εν, it displays the entry for G1722 in the dictionary window in BDB/Thayer. If I click on the Dictionaries button, the only one that shows an entry is BDB/Thayer. If I click in the topic dropdown and hit enter, then check the list of dictionaries, every one based on Strong's numbers shows as having an entry. That's true for other words, too, I just used εν as an example.
JG

Post by JG »

I don't understand why it works for me ok with the LSJ.

What is your theWord version? and LSJ module
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
therapon

Post by therapon »

theWord 4.0.0.1360 (see first post), LSJ 1.3 from the official module library
JG

Post by JG »

Oops sorry for not looking again at your first post.
The only difference between our setup is I am on Windows Vista.
Here is what I get if I hover και I have a match on the hidden Strong's number and a match on the actual word as there is no lemma info there.
Image 1.png
Image 1.png (99.05 KiB) Viewed 5168 times
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
therapon

Post by therapon »

This is what I get; BDB/Thayer, BestLex, LSJ, Mickelson are all selected.
twscreencap.png
twscreencap.png (228.12 KiB) Viewed 5167 times
JG

Post by JG »

could you please zip and post your config.ini file so I can get your exact setup.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
therapon

Post by therapon »

here 'tis.
Attachments
config.ini.zip
(3 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
JG

Post by JG »

Thanks.
I see you had this issue a while back and it sort of self corrected?

viewtopic.php?p=9281#p9281
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
therapon

Post by therapon »

Yup, rebuilding the index took care of most of the issues. Now the popup behavior and dictionary-to-dictionary lookup are the same; lots of terms that appear in the index don't show in either kind of lookup.
JG

Post by JG »

You don't have LSJ or any other dictionaries apart from Mickelson, selected. Even though you have the option to show them all, it means the ones you have checked the boxes for.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
JG

Post by JG »

To clarify, I mean the Word Lookup Dictionaries tab , in Bible view options
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software