Android version

Questions concerning theWord running in emulators under linux or other platforms
DavidJ

Android version

Post by DavidJ »

Hi Costas.

I'd be more than happy to port theWord to Android. This would be a free long-term commitment.

What do you think?

David Joyce
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Andoid version

Post by csterg »

David,
this is a HUGE commitment here. Do you realize what that means?
Costas
DavidJ

Post by DavidJ »

Thank you, Costas.

Not completely. And I would like to know your expectations.

I've been an embedded systems engineer for years, so I have an idea of the commitment.

God's given me a job where I'm doing web-based multimedia Android programming in C/C++. This contract ends at the end of May, so I'll have time on my hands when I can at least begin a "port" of your work to Android. If your code is in C, I should be able to make a lot of progress in the first few months, then other programmers could join the project which I may facilitate thereafter.

I do think God is calling me to this work.

Your brother in Christ.

David Joyce
William

Post by William »

Hi David,

queries:
What compiler do you use?
Do you run a Linux box, Windows or both?
DavidJ

Post by DavidJ »

Hi William.

We're using Ubuntu Linux and Windows 7 and 8 at work. From the command line or the Eclipse ADT (SDK/NDK).

We use the Linux toolset on Ubuntu, and Cygwin on Windows. Debugging on Java is with ADB/ADBD, and for C we use gdb/gdbserver.

We're developing x86 Android devices and software in C. We recompile x86-based code and place it on Android with our own interface. Actually, the command-line versions of the code run without interface modifications.

Wouldn't it be great to put Costas' code on Android? His resources and search engine are the best. And a large tablet could have similar windowing as his PC version.

God Bless You.

David
petrosd

Post by petrosd »

You have my vote. Yes. Please :-)
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

David,
can you send me an email to root at theword dot net?
Costas
eliranwong

Post by eliranwong »

DavidJ wrote:
Wouldn't it be great to put Costas' code on Android? His resources and search engine are the best. And a large tablet could have similar windowing as his PC version.

David

If Android can run theWord, that will be the only reason I would consider buying an android device. Thanks for the great plan.

Blessings,
Eliran
csterg
Site Admin

Re: Android version

Post by csterg »

Well, a mobile version would be a different approach of course, not a full-blown theWord implementation
DavidJ

Post by DavidJ »

There are many versions of Android bible software, but none of them have the features or stability of theWord (e.g. arbitrary highlighting, fast search and display, etc...)

Most of them also charge more for the same paid add-ons one can get for theWord.
eliranwong

Post by eliranwong »

Any progress about it?
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

Unfortunately not
petrosd

Post by petrosd »

I figured out a way to use TheWord4 on my Samsung Tablet.

I installed PocketCloud Free on my tablet and the PocketCloud Companion (free for 1 system) on my laptop (also works on my Desktop). Then I connect to my Laptop/Desktop from my Tablet and it works quite well.

it's not an Android version but it gives me what I want. It needs and Internet connection and the speed is subject to the lowest speed of the connection between the Tablet and PC but it works.

If others know of a better way, please pass it on.
wemaho

Post by wemaho »

Costas,

Personally, I both use TW at my PC and MySword at my tablet (which I use more often). Mysword has a converter for non-encrypted TW modules. In my experience, over the years Mysword has grown into an excellent bible program, with many features including multiwindow support and good search functionality.

Would it make sense to - instead of spending many time on building a new android system from scratch - seek a way of collaboration, so that TW-resources can run on Mysword, including the support of paid modules?
csterg
Site Admin

Post by csterg »

wemaho wrote:Costas,

Personally, I both use TW at my PC and MySword at my tablet (which I use more often). Mysword has a converter for non-encrypted TW modules. In my experience, over the years Mysword has grown into an excellent bible program, with many features including multiwindow support and good search functionality.

Would it make sense to - instead of spending many time on building a new android system from scratch - seek a way of collaboration, so that TW-resources can run on Mysword, including the support of paid modules?
The existence and quality of MySword is the reason i have not pursued to make a new app from scratch.
We have discussed with the people from MySword about this possibility, but unfortunately it is not exactly something that is in my hands. Each request for a paid module is made exclusively for the party that signs the contract; it is impossible to allow a 3rd party app/business to use copyrighted material from another app/business,
Costas