Spell checking feature how to turn on?

Discuss the beta released of theWord. Submit bugs and ideas concerning the beta releases.
jonathangkoehn

Spell checking feature how to turn on?

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Greetings Costas & JG,
How does one turn on or enable the spell checking feature that is being tested?
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
JG

Re: Spell checking feature how to turn on?

Post by JG »

DictionaryFilesForTesting.zip
(168.35 KiB) Downloaded 640 times
Unzip these files and put them at same level as theword.exe or below in a folder of its own.
Spell checking settings are in the preferences -> Proofing tab

This is the revival of something that was started 8 years back.

Checking is only active on user modules.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
JG

Post by JG »

For a regular installation it is probably best to put the dictionaries in their own folder at ProgramData\The Word\

The instruction in previous post is probably better for compact usb install, which is what I normally use for initial testing.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Thanks John appreciate it
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

If I wanted to spell check in Spanish, any ideas where I could find some more on that?
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

--I put en_US.aff and en_US.dic in my compact install in a folder called SpellCheck in the same directory as theword.exe
--I restarted theWORD.

Under Proofing in Preferences:
--I've left everything checked.
--I left the custom dictionary alone.
--Available dictionaries does not have any thing in it.

In red at the bottom it says "Spelling is disabled!"
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

jonathangkoehn wrote:--I put en_US.aff and en_US.dic in my compact install in a folder called SpellCheck in the same directory as theword.exe
--I restarted theWORD.

Under Proofing in Preferences:
--I've left everything checked.
--I left the custom dictionary alone.
--Available dictionaries does not have any thing in it.

In red at the bottom it says "Spelling is disabled!"
It's working for me. I did the same as you, except I named my folder Dictionaries instead of SpellCheck, but I don't see any reason that should make a difference.

When you go back and look are the en_US.aff and en_US.dic files still there where you put them? I just ask because when I was playing around with a dictionary file before Jon provided the files that work, it seemed my dictionary file would just disappear for some strange reason. I didn't think it was a permission problem, but I never figured it out.

I'm running Linux under Wine, for whatever difference that makes.
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

Is the spell check only available in a beta version. I have version 5.0.0.1450 and I do not see proofing under preferences? Thanks all
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.
JG

Post by JG »

Yes just the beta 1489 -->
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
UBC4ME

Post by UBC4ME »

Thanks
Dave
Gods gifts comes wrapped many different ways.
twbeining

Post by twbeining »

Have not been on the forum site in quite some time. Ran across this and set it up. This is just plain excellent and seems to be working just fine for me in the 1492 beta. Thanks a ton for this!

Tim Beining
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

With the addition of the dictionaries Jon gave here, spellcheck in beta 1494 is working fine, except that adding words to a custom dictionary doesn't work. Instead of the whole word, only its first letter was saved in the dictionary. And when I tried to use my existing 14kb LibreOffice user dictionary to jump-start things (after cleaning up the intro lines and adding Windows linefeeds and a UTF-8 BOM to it), theWord deletes the file or sets it to 34 bits upon closing. So spellcheck seems to be working well (all four options checked; user dic location specced to user profile) except for custom words. I'm on Linux / Wine.

Great addition going forward though. Thanks much.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

paul1149 wrote:With the addition of the dictionaries Jon gave here, spellcheck in beta 1494 is working fine, except that adding words to a custom dictionary doesn't work. Instead of the whole word, only its first letter was saved in the dictionary. And when I tried to use my existing 14kb LibreOffice user dictionary to jump-start things (after cleaning up the intro lines and adding Windows linefeeds and a UTF-8 BOM to it), theWord deletes the file or sets it to 34 bits upon closing. So spellcheck seems to be working well (all four options checked; user dic location specced to user profile) except for custom words. I'm on Linux / Wine.

Great addition going forward though. Thanks much.
Hi Paul,

I'm also running on MX Linux under Wine (if I'm not mistaken, I think I've seen you on the MX forum promoting theWord :D ), and I'm not having a problem with the custom dictionary. I have theWord on a compact install in its own folder in my Home partition, and customdct.txt is located in the folder.
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

I run Ubuntu Mate 19.04, compact and on an SSD and it works great for me (not to mention blazingly fast on an SSD!)

Darrel
paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Jeff wrote:
paul1149 wrote:adding words to a custom dictionary doesn't work.
Hi Paul,

I'm also running on MX Linux under Wine (if I'm not mistaken, I think I've seen you on the MX forum promoting theWord :D ), and I'm not having a problem with the custom dictionary. I have theWord on a compact install in its own folder in my Home partition, and customdct.txt is located in the folder.
Hi Jeff. Yes, that's me on that forum. MX is a really great OS, and that's a helpful forum. Glad to see several TW users there!

No luck here with the custom dictionary. If I add words manually from my LibreOffice dic, theWord will delete the file upon closing, even though I use CR + LF line endings and no UTF-8 BOM. If I keep the file blank and only add words through theWord interface, the words are added and the file is not deleted, but the words are still flagged as misspelled. I'm on a TW full install.