all bookmarks in one place?

Ask here any questions regarding program functionality
travislaborde

all bookmarks in one place?

Post by travislaborde »

Hello all. I'm a new user and I'm LOVING this software. But I'm getting a little lost and I'm asking for some help.

So, I've loaded a few books and commentaries and while reading have made some bookmarks. For example, a great book on prayer, where I've created a few bookmarks. But now, say a day or two later, I open my bookmarks window and it shows "no bookmarks."

Luckily, I remember which book I was in, so I go there... and then I can see it has bookmarks, but only if I'm in the right chapter or section - which seems useless.

Is there a way to see a sort of "master list of bookmarks" so that I can remember "oh yeah last week I was reading about predestination in THIS book, but about prayer in THAT book, and easily get back to where I was?

From what I've seen so far, I have to open the right book, and navigate to the right chapter, and THEN I can hit CTRL-R and see a list of the bookmarks for that chapter. I feel like I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks!
Attachments
bookmark list once I have selected the right chapter.
bookmark list once I have selected the right chapter.
bookmarks-2.jpg (276.23 KiB) Viewed 4973 times
bookmark list when I have just opened the book.
bookmark list when I have just opened the book.
bookmarks-1.jpg (268.97 KiB) Viewed 4973 times
JG

Re: all bookmarks in one place?

Post by JG »

Welcome to theWord forum.

You have misunderstood the use of Bookmarks. This is how the help file defines their use. Really they should have been called "Anchors", and it would not have been confusing.
How are bookmarks useful for popups and footnotes

The usefulness of bookmarks comes from the ability to define Hyperlinks and use them as anchor points. This allows you, for example, to:

• Use them to define footnotes on the topic level
• Use them to force parts of a topic to appear in a popup when the user hovers his mouse over a link.
• Create links that drive you to a specific point you in a topic
Please, read the Hyper linking topic for details.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
travislaborde

Post by travislaborde »

wow. thanks.
bellgamin

Post by bellgamin »

Hmm.. it seems bookmarks aren't really bookmarks. Okay, so how do I "dog-ear" the page of a book I am reading in theWord, so that I can go straight back to that page a couple of days later?
Life is a mirror
Frown & it frowns back
Smile & it returns the greeting.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Maybe write down the book and chapter, highlight the first word(s) of the chapter, and/or save the layout where you stop.

Something similar was recently discussed: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11090

I don't think there's a perfect way yet.
Jeff

Using theWord Beta on MX Linux via Wine.
bellgamin

Post by bellgamin »

Jeff wrote:Maybe write down the book and chapter, highlight the first word(s) of the chapter, and/or save the layout where you stop.

Something similar was recently discussed: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11090

I don't think there's a perfect way yet.
10Q to the nth for that very helpful comment!

I read the thread at the link you linked. Good thread because it showed me that (for once) my problem wasn't the result of my aversion to reading users manuals.
Life is a mirror
Frown & it frowns back
Smile & it returns the greeting.