Clipboard cleared after close of theWord software

Have you found a bug or you think that the program does not function as expected? Report it here
this-is-me

Clipboard cleared after close of theWord software

Post by this-is-me »

For years, this problem has bugged me but I never got around to contacting anyone about it. I've been "dealing with" the problem for more than 10 years at this point, AFAIK.

I often bring up theWord to copy a scripture reference, then paste it as a reply online, or in a Word document for sermons. Unfortunately, if I use the Copy Verses... option (which I always do), the clipboard is cleared when I close theWord.

I have closed the app, expecting to paste my scriptures, and the clipboard is blank! Then I have to open theWord again, and do it all over again, keeping theWord open while I paste, then close it again.

I know that Microsoft Word asks if you want to keep the contents of the clipboard when you have copied and then attempted to close Word. Can't this either be a request like Word does, or an option in the settings to ALWAYS keep the clipboard contents when closing theWord?
JG

Re: Clipboard cleared after close of theWord software

Post by JG »

I have not found it to be the case on Windows 10. The data is there for me to paste.

Also on Windows 10 you can activate Clipboard history. You copy in the normal way. That data is stored in a clipboard history which you activate with Windows logo key +V. A window opens with clips which you click on to insert in your document or web-page. There are third-party alternatives to this.
clipboard_2020-04-05_075018.png
clipboard_2020-04-05_075018.png (48.23 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
this-is-me

Post by this-is-me »

I use Windows 10 exclusively, have more than 5 PCs at home, and work from home. I have tested this on at least two laptops, one server, and multiple PCs, all running the latest version of Windows 10 updates.
I do remote PC repairs from home, and for reasons of consumer privacy, I cannot enable clipboard history, as it would present a potential security breach.
Perhaps you can try with clipboard history off and see what happens.

I have never been able to close theWord after copying (again using Copy Verses..., Copy and close) then close theWord and paste anywhere. I just tried again. I am using theWord 5.0.0.1450.
JG

Post by JG »

I did not have the Windows clipboard on actually, that was just a suggestion.
I was just a little quick on my paste after closing theWord. When I waited a few more seconds, paste did go grayed out.
However the latest stable beta appears to have the behaviour you need. I don't recall when this changed. So if you are comfortable with the beta (I am), try it, or wait for the released version. No idea when this will happen. I suggest making a new compact install with the USB option selected so you can try this out in isolation from your main install. See the links in my signature for instructions.
Jon
the
Word 6 Bible Software
OS for testing; Windows 10
Beta Download ------Beta Setup Guide------On-line Manual------Tech doc's and Utilities------Copyright Factsheet
yetanotherforumname

Post by yetanotherforumname »

I have seen the same thing on multiple computers (all Win 7). I think it is due to the way that theWord assumes control of the clipboard. I find this the most annoying feature of theWord. In general, the copy/paste functions need a LOT of work. Pasting a block of verses should result in a block of verses, not individual verses, each with its own reference.
Mark
this-is-me

Post by this-is-me »

The Copy Verses... option lets you specify exactly how the copied verses will appear. Right click on the first verse, then Copy Verses...
You can specify predefined formats such as "single block of text with verse reference", or you can choose your own format.
You can also choose whether to include a header that has the Book Chapter:Verse references.
yetanotherforumname

Post by yetanotherforumname »

Well, three years later....

It doesn't work that way. There is no option for, "single block of text with verse reference".

To get (what should be the default method), the user must choose Option 7, Single Block of text, AND select the appropriate footer.

This produces the desired result.

Oh. and you have to CLEAR everything in Step 4, or you will get something with each verse, TOO. This renders useless the "Copy single verse" option on the right-click menu. Instead of a single right-click and select an option, you have to go through a multi-step process each time, whether you want to copy multiple verses (a very common thing to do), or copy a single verse (the other very common thing to do). It's crazy.

Why it's not the default is beyond comprehension. All of those other options may be nice to have for various specialized uses, but getting the copied text with the range at the end, whether one verse or multiple verses, should be the first choice right there on the right-click menu.
Mark
Rosieres4884

Post by Rosieres4884 »

I often use the Clipboard to review my computer's memory. It can help me easily review files, files, documents, and so on.