Tool for copying some settings from a Config file to another

Share your favorite tips, workarounds and shortcuts for theWord
jonathangkoehn

Tool for copying some settings from a Config file to another

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Greetings Forum,
Here is a tool for Copy Settings from one Config File to another Config File.
Useful for bringing old settings into a new install.
Settings that can be copied:
  • Book/Module Sets
    Bibles Search Sets
    Book/Module Search Sets
    Books/Modules Settings
    Bibles Settings
    Copy Verses Settings
    Print Settings
    Bookmarks
    Graphics Viewer Settings
Important Note:
-For advanced users who will use this tool with wisdom.
-Always make a backup copy of the config files before using this tool.
-Follow the steps 1,2,3 each time you want to copy the settings.

Lastly here is a link to the folder which contains the .zip
When you unzip the files make sure the content remains in the tWConfigCopy folder.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Jonathan Koehn @ https://www.thewordbooks.com
TotheWord make resources for theWord
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
DarrelW

Re: Tool for copying some settings from a Config file to ano

Post by DarrelW »

Hi Jonathan,
I was expecting (maybe wrongly!) that the tool would allow copying everything, thereby making a 1:1 copy if I selected all check boxes. But it does not appear to do that. My config.ini file contains 47516 lines. The config copy appears to copy 45664 and messes up the last several line. Am I missing something?

Darrel
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

It is not designed to copy all settings otherwise since one can just copy the config.ini file itself.
If there are some additional specific settings that are really needed perhaps they might could be added
2 Timothy 2:15 “Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately.” NET2
DarrelW

Post by DarrelW »

Okay, it was just my misunderstanding as to what the app was designed for. It does appear to work well with the 6 settings on the app.
Rodrigo Samy

Re: Tool for copying some settings from a Config file to another

Post by Rodrigo Samy »

Jonathan, thanks for sharing this resource, it seems timely as I am upgrading from a HD to a SSD and from Windows 7 to 10, and have to do a fresh installation of theWord.

Now, I am not being able to open the Google Drive link you have shared, it goes to an Error 404 message. Could you please share another one?

Thank you for your help.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

Greetings Rodrigo,
Here is an updated link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Rodrigo Samy

Post by Rodrigo Samy »

Greetings, thank you very much!

Now, I have a dummy question... the config.ini that I should copy is the one (whose existence I just discovered) at C:\Users\Damasceno Ribeiro\AppData\Roaming\The Word, or the one at C:\ProgramData\The Word\Templates, or some other?

I have tried the latter and then the former, with no success and no noticeable change except loosing a few manual corrections I had already did (and which I might recover, I guess, by restoring both backup config.ini files).

I hope I simply tried on the wrong files, so that I may restore all my settings. I am thankful for any enlightenment, and lastly I would suggest the software interface (which is very nice and clear) designating what config file exactly that needs to be worked on.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

2. Select theWord Config.ini to Copy FROM (this could be a backup, an previous version this is up to you)
3. Selec theWord Config.ini to Copy TO (this would be the config that you want changed, updated)

There are too many variations to be able to tell you what config you should copy FROM and TO.
jonathangkoehn

Post by jonathangkoehn »

C:\Users\Damasceno Ribeiro\AppData\Roaming\The Word, or the one at C:\ProgramData\The Word\Templates, or some other?
The Template one is what theWord uses as a template. I would not change that one.

Where is your backup config?? That would normally be the FROM one
Is C:\Users\Damasceno Ribeiro\AppData\Roaming\The Word your new install? OR your old install?
If it is the new install that would be the one you use in step 3. the copy TO
Rodrigo Samy

Post by Rodrigo Samy »

jonathangkoehn wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:43 pm C:\Users\Damasceno Ribeiro\AppData\Roaming\The Word, or the one at C:\ProgramData\The Word\Templates, or some other?
The Template one is what theWord uses as a template. I would not change that one.
Thank you, I will restore the file as it was before in my new fresh installation.
jonathangkoehn wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:43 pm Where is your backup config?? That would normally be the FROM one
Is C:\Users\Damasceno Ribeiro\AppData\Roaming\The Word your new install? OR your old install?
If it is the new install that would be the one you use in step 3. the copy TO
C:\Users\Damasceno Ribeiro\AppData\Roaming\The Word is my new install, in the SSD. The old install, on the HD (now working as an external HD) appears the same, only with the letter H: H:\Users\Damasceno Ribeiro\AppData\Roaming\The Word. However, it used to be the C unity, when the HD was internal and Windows 7 was booting from it, so I was calling it just by C (in my mind, old C unity versus new C unity). Sorry I was not clear enough. As for what I should copy FROM or TO, that is clear.

Now, I guess my trouble might come from theWord layouts, or rather for not using them well. Some years ago, I have fiddled around the layouts, then gave up caring about them - from then on, any layout change would simply be kept somewhere in theWord temporary memory. Insofar theWord was correctly closed, the final layout would be kept for the next session. Any trouble, like a power failure, would not allow saving the settings and theWord would revert back to the previous layout settings, but that was not that a big problem.

Now, for my life I can't recall in what layout were being saved any setting changes: in My Layout or any other I might have experimented. Anyway, once I recalled that, now, I went to the HD, from where theWord old install worked, and copied the mylayouts files, and pasted on the equivalent new install folder. It restored some things, as abbreviated names and flags for Bible files, as I might have used them some years ago, but not everything (and not the Book modules settings, the harder to restore manually!).

So I guess the mess has something to do with layouts and how and where I have saved them, so I will have to find some time to make the computer run on the old Windows 7 HD, to run the old theWord install and check what layout was in usage and where exactly would any layout change be stored in theWord files.

Now that's impossible as I have pressing work to finish. Do you would have any suggestion as to what exactly checking?